Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XDC2012 Begins To Advance X.Org, Wayland, Mesa

Phoronix: XDC2012 Begins To Advance X.Org, Wayland, Mesa

The XDC2012 conference began today in N?rnberg where future improvements and other features for the X.Org Server, Wayland, Mesa, and other components are being discussed for the remainder of the week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael

Sorry to ask again.
    Any news about the GPU "BookSprint" which took place over the last two days?
    I really want to see that great document to progress.
    Last edited by entropy; 19 September 2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

i am sure xorg could get a large number of donations from the user community if they asked (currently there is not even a donate button on the xorg website). especially if it was clear how it was being spent on speeding up development.

Comment

Does xorg need more money (inb4 who doesn't)?? I mean its at its dawn more or less and it has hackers payed by Red hat Intel etc when other project like mesa could use them more in a way.

Comment

xorg the foundation has a wider scope (and could perhaps sponsor) than just the xorg graphics server.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
            xorg the foundation has a wider scope (and could perhaps sponsor) than just the xorg graphics server.
            Correct, the X.Org Foundation sponsors events & student projects across the free software graphics stack, including Mesa, Wayland, graphics drivers, etc. If you look at the EVoC projects for instance, you'll see more have been at the Mesa layer than the X server itself.

Comment

Correction to main article

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: XDC2012 Begins To Advance X.Org, Wayland, Mesa

Alan Coopersmith of Oracle and X.Org Foundation board member mentioned, "my impression is that I won't be able to go to the well [Oracle] to get payments. Sun used to be a major contributor to the X.Org war-chest."

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4ODA
              That was Stuart Kreitman, the X.Org Treasurer, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
                That was Stuart Kreitman, the X.Org Treasurer, not me.
                Whoops, fixed, sorry about that.... What happens when writing more notes later on while tired.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Any news about the GPU "BookSprint" which took place over the last two days?
                  I really want to see that great document to progress.
                  There were a few minutes discussion on that which should be in the video. The driver document was fleshed out in a number of areas, the text needs to be integrated & the document formatted - hopefully that won't take too long. The general X stack developer's guide from the prior book sprint also progressed to the point there's now a EPUB being tested on ebook readers and which should be posted shortly.

Comment

Working...
                  X