Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD-ATI zerocore

Hi all,

I'm very interested in 7000 series feature called "zerocore" which puts the card in a sort of standby mode when screen goes blank.

I have note been able to find any input regarding zerocore support under linux runing FGLRX.

Does anyone has information about zerocore support under GNU/linux?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

just testet it on hd7750 and fglrx 12.9 ,ubuntu 12.04, ASPM on

with code: "xset dpms force off"

whole computer measured:
    idle: around 43W
    idle monitor off: around 42W

dont know if that 1W accounts to zerocore or something else related
    aspm activated did lower it around 6W in idle though

Comment

Power up your machine. Put it into lowest power state as you can. Measure it.
      Reboot, set in BIOS/UEFI - continue on all errors.

Open the machine, remove GPU completely. Reboot. If it boots till sound, measure - thats raw performance without GPU.
      It doesn?t play any role if Xorg was started or no, main point is cpu-governor should start and that happens if kernel and init system work.

You can make a daemon to create some random file at end of the boot as confirmation that machine did boot.

Comment

the hd7750 idles around 5W
        The ASUS Radeon HD 7750 OC is a custom implementation of the HD 7750 design from ASUS. It comes at reference pricing, yet features slightly increased clock speeds out of the box. We have seen its cooling solution before on other cards from the company so it is a tested design that works well and delivers low temperatures and low noise levels.

zerocore reduces that to 3W

so my 1W less finding may be the zerocore deepest state cause they used an active cooler version there(+1W?) an i have a passive card.
        but doas it matter?
        0,002kW*24h*365d*0,25cent/kWh=4,38? /year difference if its idle all the time

Comment

Working...
        X