No announcement yet.

A Crazy Qt-Based 3D Wayland "Maze" Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reminds me of an ancient concept I first heard called the "memory theater". It was a mnemonic device, where you "built" and edifice in your imagination, and then covered the walls with more mnemonic devices as if they were paintings. In other words, you could store related memories in one "room", then walk to the next "room" for another group of memories, etc. Not having easy access to information technology, even to the level of pencil-and-paper, the ancients had some remarkable techniques for carrying around their information in their heads.

Anyway instead of imagining tacking processes on the walls, make this a view of a filesystem. Better yet, because the maze of navigating an ordinary tree-oriented filesystem need not obey Euclidean geometry - the various subtrees can overlap, since you can't see one from the other. FIles could be viewed on the walls as thumbnails of their default application. Directories are doorways, etc.

Comment

Apart from the cool factor this is completely pointless -the navigation model i mean-. We use a different way to interact with our computers -mouse keyboards on the 2d surface that the screen is- and this is totally the wrong thing to do. I could see this work if/when the man machine interface changes.

Comment

This reminds me of the e-mail client that was a pretty 3d beach, with bikini-clad women representing emails. Useful? no. Cool? yup.

Comment

I don't see why this shouldn't be a real world desktop environment in the future. With some convenience features added like fast zooming a window / a window group to fullscreen from anywhere and a good way to tile the windows on the wall / look at multiple window at the same time, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Apart from the cool factor this is completely pointless -the navigation model i mean-. We use a different way to interact with our computers -mouse keyboards on the 2d surface that the screen is- and this is totally the wrong thing to do. I could see this work if/when the man machine interface changes.
            Maybe if Microsoft's R&D goes somewhere with its 3D, 360degree holographic projector? Put it in the middle of a blank room with touch-sensative walls (or if the projector could handle detecting touch) and the projector shoots all of your open windows onto the walls and you walk around the room to your different windows or put 5 fingers on the wall, the computer detects it as a "grab" and if the next input is a swipe the projector spins its projection around until it detects another grab. This way instead of walking around the room you could stand in one spot and the windows would come to you.

^
            Yes i realize this is like way out there in the imagination but im sitting in philosophy class and im bored haha
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Project Wonderland

This reminds me of Sun's project Wonderland. I always thought it was a neat idea. If there is a way to go in and out of full screen mode it would be kind of neat.

Comment

I guess this is nice for showing off Wayland (and maybe Qt), but if you have this knowhow with Wayland, maybe you can work on porting my much-loved Openbox =)

Comment

imagine if we add up the rift (http://oculusvr.com/)

*brain explodes*

Comment

Working...
                  X