Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Features For The Linux 3.6 Kernel

Phoronix: Interesting Features For The Linux 3.6 Kernel

The Linux 3.6 kernel is set to make its official debut in the coming weeks and -- as usual -- there's many interesting features to this next major open-source kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re

You forgot to mention "Seccomp-BPF" in Linux 3.5 when it launched. A nice feature for developers to increase security.

Comment

"- First of all, due to the extensive Linux graphics interest by Phoronix readers, the open-source driver improvements aren't too amazing this time around. There are some Intel performance improvements, but nothing that's been overhauled across the board. The only really prominent change for the Radeon DRM driver is that it finally enables PCI Express 2.0 by default. "

So because of our enthusiasm, the developers chose not to implement interesting features?

Comment

3.6 and 3.7 upcoming features

There is one important change in kernel drm, finally the radeon driver gets full openGL 3.0 compliance if paired with mesa 9 git.
        Talking about kernel 3.7, this new upcoming kernel should introduce a new compat-drm (drm backporting infrastructure) that will allow also older kernels to get latest gpu drivers, while keeping stability (think about LTS versions and certifications...).
        Sorry for my english I'm italian....

Comment

Originally posted by yankeex86x View Post
          There is one important change in kernel drm, finally the radeon driver gets full openGL 3.0 compliance if paired with mesa 9 git.
          Talking about kernel 3.7, this new upcoming kernel should introduce a new compat-drm (drm backporting infrastructure) that will allow also older kernels to get latest gpu drivers, while keeping stability (think about LTS versions and certifications...).
          Linus Torvalds has released version 3.6 of the Linux kernel. A major new feature for desktops and laptops is hybrid sleep, long supported by both Mac OS X and Windows. This involves writing the contents of the RAM to the hard drive prior to suspending to RAM, thus ensuring that the system is able to awake from suspend in the event of a power interruption.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeex86x View Post
            Linus Torvalds has released version 3.6 of the Linux kernel. A major new feature for desktops and laptops is hybrid sleep, long supported by both Mac OS X and Windows. This involves writing the contents of the RAM to the hard drive prior to suspending to RAM, thus ensuring that the system is able to awake from suspend in the event of a power interruption.

Comment

Working...
            X