AMD "Hondo" APUs May Not Be Too Linux Friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARE YOU PEOPLE KIDDING ME?

"coming later" COMING LATER? AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA yeah you'd have to be a retard to bet on GETTING ANY support at all from AMD for linux.

ARe they fkng kidding? after what they have done to radeons and that catalyst BS they expect you to believe their lies???

"However unlike Intel, AMD said there is nothing stopping people from running Linux on its Hondo processor."

Yeah well you fucking troll there's also nothing keeping you from running linux on the atomDXXX or on a fucking calculator.

Be damned AMD, microsoft and intel, these companies need to die, the golden age of ARM is coming the golden age where all the wintel/amd derps will be as relevant as dung beetles.

I am the future, and all your CANCER and FAIL that is windows and ati will be washed from the face of the earth by ARM.

I wish the linux community wasn't such a bunch of derps because you would be seeing NO ONE here ever buying your products ever again and everyone focusing on arm development.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      I am the future, and all your CANCER and FAIL that is windows and ati will be washed from the face of the earth by ARM.
      If you show me the free grafics driver that is better than the ones from intel and from amd, I do with you :P

Sadly arm is even worse than x86 hardware because it seems (or am I wrong) that opensource drivers do not even exist (with 3d and stuff...) Mostly nvidia tegra crap and other stuff... so on paper they look nice but they dont support linux at all (I mean open, only with closedsource shit is not supporting for me...)

Comment

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/16/a...compatibility/ no love for android

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
          phew! If I had to boycott both AMD and Intel, I'm not sure what other CPU there would be left for me to use!
          http://www.tekmote.nl/epages/6150459...ectID=25471147

64bit 4core longson 1ghz

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
            Chipset: AMD RS780E + SB710

whats the point of this????? thats a amd gpu or am I wrong here? So there is no va-api for that too? and whats the advantage of cpu? is it bios-free aka coreboot or whats the advantage here, if you dont have problems with the very very high price

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              ARE YOU PEOPLE KIDDING ME?
              ...long rant...
              Eh, sure. ARM. Suuuure. Show me the ARM that comes with a mainboard where everything has full specs / free drivers. You probably have no clue about the chips that are usually soldered on these boards. Combined with the ARM CPUs.
              No way, pal.

Furthermore, ARM is a good idea for a lot of things, but if you need some computing power you're kinda lost with it. Good for mobile devices and more specialized chips, but generic numbercrunching... maybe with a huge farm of them. But a.t.m. you're better with a amd64 multicore and some decent chipset+RAM.
              Also mass storage and useful bus systems that are accessible for users are still extremely rare. No SATA/IDE, no PCI or the like.

Moreover from a user's perspective there are still more packages on x86 arch than any other. This will change in the future and hopefully one day all arches will be on par package wise (if it makes sense, of course libreoffice doesn't need to be on a headless system) but there will be some water flowing down the rivers until then.

Aunt Edith screams:
              If it runs Linux kernel, it will also run sooner or later w. Android. They "just" need to adapt the next kernel into their Android-Linux-derviate-Kernel tree or whatever they have there.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                Chipset: AMD RS780E + SB710

whats the point of this????? thats a amd gpu or am I wrong here? So there is no va-api for that too? and whats the advantage of cpu? is it bios-free aka coreboot or whats the advantage here, if you dont have problems with the very very high price
                the point is: these Chinese people are willing to compete with amd/intel in the future.
                right now they do not have a chipset and a gpu right now because of this they use a amd chipset.
                The CPU is real opensource-hardware in the definition of the FSF. (not in the definition of bridgman)
                The bios is 100% open-source.
                Last edited by necro-lover; 16 September 2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                  AMD video unit? No blob on MIPS, so you get poor power management and no video decoding. Perfect for a laptop.
                  Also there is no USB 3.0 and a maximum of 4GB RAM.
                  And that for 860$+taxes. The "Apple in Linux hardware!" must refer to the price.
                  Thanks, but no.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    AMD video unit? No blob on MIPS, so you get poor power management and no video decoding. Perfect for a laptop.
                    Also there is no USB 3.0 and a maximum of 4GB RAM.
                    And that for 860$+taxes. The "Apple in Linux hardware!" must refer to the price.
                    Thanks, but no.
                    right but its there second generation hardware..
                    there first generation was singlecore only and only a 2D graphic card.
                    so its a big step.

there 3. generation of hardware will have 16cores instead of 4 and more ram and a better graphic card.

Comment

While I don't give a damn about AMD for now I'm worried: is Microsoft trying to gain monopoly again on the tablet market? Well it may be, but at least this is another obstacle GNU/Linux will have to jump to gain a relevant fraction of the market. Nevertheless the biggest problem is always the same: find an OEM.

Comment

Working...
                      X