AMD "Hondo" APUs May Not Be Too Linux Friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    right but its there second generation hardware..
    there first generation was singlecore only and only a 2D graphic card.
    so its a big step.

there 3. generation of hardware will have 16cores instead of 4 and more ram and a better graphic card.
    Unless they invent their own GPU and write a full featured driver for it you gain nothing more than what we have today.

Comment

that and

lower their prices....

a lot

900 euros? seriously

"is Microsoft trying to gain monopoly again on the tablet market? "

my friend that was the whole purpose of windows 8, they thought that by releasing the same OS in desktops and tablets and then used the same tactics they used to dominate the x86 world they would also dominate the post-pc world.

But they made a terrible mistake, and that is delivering a OS that is neither suited for a desktop or a tablet

But it's fun to see where the allegiances lie, intel amd apple microsoft are a cancer that is keeping technology closed, expensive and unaccessible

The reason I like arm is that they license their designs and anyone can build a CPU and then you only have to pay them like 10 cents.

If they would open the cortex a15 and the mali gfx it would be a technological jump of many years
      Last edited by Pallidus; 17 September 2012, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        But it's fun to see where the allegiances lie, intel amd apple microsoft are a cancer that is keeping technology closed, expensive and unaccessible

The reason I like arm is that they license their designs and anyone can build a CPU and then you only have to pay them like 10 cents.

If they would open the cortex a15 and the mali gfx it would be a technological jump of many years

Have you seen anyone making a serious attempt to create a non-x86 personal computer. There are many architectures (PPC ARM TILERA MIPS etc) you can choose from with each one having its pros and cons but as it seems noone even tried to make a business case out of it.

And its probably quite difficult because we are at a day and age in which the consumer doesn't tolerate sub par products.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Have you seen anyone making a serious attempt to create a non-x86 personal computer. There are many architectures (PPC ARM TILERA MIPS etc) you can choose from with each one having its pros and cons but as it seems noone even tried to make a business case out of it.
          You mean like Apple's PowerPC products?

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
            You mean like Apple's PowerPC products?
            Yeah. The only thing i've seen lately is http://www.a-eon.com/ . But its not available yet on a large scale and i am not sure about its performance. (Michael benchmark this please )

Comment

And its probably quite difficult because we are at a day and age in which the consumer doesn't tolerate sub par products.
              I dont agree to that, because android is very strongly hiped, and even windows now works on arm hardware. So the time could not be better to make a big step into the "pc" market. you could even release notebooks with windows installed (if thats really nessessary).

but I will fight it, when the grafics stuff is not open... and it looks like no arm vendor releases there specs lets not even talk about releasing free drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                ARE YOU PEOPLE KIDDING ME?

"coming later" COMING LATER? AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA yeah you'd have to be a retard to bet on GETTING ANY support at all from AMD for linux.

ARe they fkng kidding? after what they have done to radeons and that catalyst BS they expect you to believe their lies???
                Someone e-mail Pallidus and tell him that Qar has gotten ahold of his logon credentials.

F

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  I dont agree to that, because android is very strongly hiped, and even windows now works on arm hardware. So the time could not be better to make a big step into the "pc" market. you could even release notebooks with windows installed (if thats really nessessary).

but I will fight it, when the grafics stuff is not open... and it looks like no arm vendor releases there specs lets not even talk about releasing free drivers.
                  Maybe something can be done with arm but still is not a powerful processor. Lets assume you built something around a tilera cpu (which i read its on par with i7 -no idea if true) wrap it in beautiful case (think 2 times better than apple) and throwing in a GPU. Of course you roll your own distro and polish the hell out of the DE and apps to make it as trouble free as possible. Then what. Games??? Services people use on x86??? Flash???

Comment

Maybe something can be done with arm but still is not a powerful processor. Lets assume you built something around a tilera cpu (which i read its on par with i7 -no idea if true) wrap it in beautiful case (think 2 times better than apple) and throwing in a GPU. Of course you roll your own distro and polish the hell out of the DE and apps to make it as trouble free as possible. Then what. Games??? Services people use on x86??? Flash???
                    Why do you need the power of a Intel i7? I have bought 2 zacates in my notebook and my htpc. if gpu-accelleration for videos would be working it would be good enough. maybe the gpu driver could be faster in other regards too, I am not totaly shure if here the hardware is the bottleneck or the free radeon driver, for daily desktop use. One big bummer is the 80% cpu load with videos, thats for shure.

theoreticly should the cpus + the 8gb ram + ssd be fast enough for anything but gaming, but it could be faster. just browsing task-switching etc. its ok dont get me wrong but not extremely fast... like I would think a dualcore + ssd should be. As example you just cant use 1 virtualisation, especialy if you have on movie playing beside but even if not, its a painful experience... not even close different in the factor 5 or so like I install and use one on my windows bulldozer computer. (I have that to game, because it makes no sense to use linux for gaming, because the purpose is to get somewhere near freedom and backdoorfreeness, so installing backdoors aka drm is even if you dont care about freedom to copy and study the source code and so on just stupid security-wise.

And I dont use flash btw, minitube is a good alternative as example, but they do good work with other flash-replacements that are totem-browserplugins.

hmm I did not mean that but there is a coming alternative for minitube thats directly from the gnome devs:

ahh I did mean the vegas plugin, its basicly there since a year or so

Before: No video, because no Flash, and no MP4 support After: Video, through Totem's Vegas plugin Totem's new Vegas browser plugin provid...

but canonical hides it for me... had just to install the gnome-ppa to maybe be able to test it.

AND 3. google wanted to switch away from flash ( I thought so...) but I guess they make that slowly in 100 years

and lets be onest... most people dont want flash, they want youtube and maybe vimeo... yes some people need more, but apple phones would not be such successfull (still) if flash was the big issue.

We have to kill that crap someway or another god bless most people only want youtube not really flash it self.

Comment

Working...
                    X