Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD "Hondo" APUs May Not Be Too Linux Friendly

Default AMD "Hondo" APUs May Not Be Too Linux Friendly

Phoronix: AMD "Hondo" APUs May Not Be Too Linux Friendly

Just one day after hearing Intel isn't planning "Clover Trail" Atom support under Linux due to targeting this low-powered processor towards Windows 8 tablets, similar information has now come out of AMD. The next-generation "Hondo" Fusion APUs are initially being targeted towards Windows 8 tablets rather than Linux/Android...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4NTY

shitstorm incoming

What a sensationalist crock of bullsh1t. Did Intel pay you to post that article?

For those who cared enough to actually click the link to the source article, you'll see that in fact, according to AMD, LINUX RUNS FINE ON HONDO, which is essentially Brazos 2.0, THEY SIMPLY AREN'T LAUNCHING ANDROID TABLETS WITH HONDO.

Of course, there aren't any Android tablets running Brazos either, but don't let that ruin a good swipe at AMD. Intel choosing PowerVR, OTOH, isn't something that might become Linux friendly later.

From the article:
    "However unlike Intel, AMD said there is nothing stopping people from running Linux on its Hondo processor."

I actually didn't read the article and was in shok. Why I assumed it could 'just work', nothing as such was in the article. I understand AMD doing this, I'm sure they get some money for this 'exclusiveness' or atleast some good PR.

This was just some bad PR here. *shiver* atleast other people did read the source and assured nothing is really up.

I'm surprised the x86 folks didn't take Android more seriously. It just seems like their whole approach to the mobile market was to be lazy and wait for Windows 8 to show up. Now suddenly they're interested in tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    From the article:
    "However unlike Intel, AMD said there is nothing stopping people from running Linux on its Hondo processor."
    Headline was certainly ridiculously misleading though :/

From the article:
    phew! If I had to boycott both AMD and Intel, I'm not sure what other CPU there would be left for me to use!

Still, interesting tactics by Microsoft. It seems they're searching for ways to avert the looming disasters (W*8). Or rather save whatever they can by the usual marketing (blackmailing) tricks.

From the article:
    Right, I even updated the article to include that quote, nothing in the article was meant to confuse potential customers. I guess we'll see how the support is at launch.