Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samba 4.0 Makes It To Release Candidate Stage

Phoronix: Samba 4.0 Makes It To Release Candidate Stage

After a lengthy development cycle, Samba 4.0 is now very close to being officially released and the first RC has surfaced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's another example where the better technology (NFS) lost out.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Here's another example where the better technology (NFS) lost out.
      I wouldnt jump to say that NFS lost, you can still run NFS just fine, MS will even support NFS under windows if you have Professional or higher. The fact of the matter is: its a mixed business. Its not ALL just windows, and its not just ALL linux or Mac, so an OS ecosystem needs to support as many protocols as possible. This is just supporting the new(ish, i mean Win 2000, really?) protocols.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

nfs is faster. it can even run in udp for extra juice. samba is a hacked filesystem. if i have a unix/linux/osx environment you can bet i'm running nfs. apple uses nfs for netbooting because other protocols can't compete with the speed. most people don't know that nfs exists. so there are ignorant as to setting it up. this is because popular distros are like toy operating systems that don't expose the functionality through a GUI and assume that average people only use a web browser.

Comment

Well, Samba/Active Directory is much more a mechanism for SSO/global permissions/DDNS than just a networked filesystem... There is no really comparable alternative that I know of... the closest things being stuff like Apache's Directory Server, which isn't as well integrated.

Comment

Can't wait

Can't wait to see this in Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
              Well, Samba/Active Directory is much more a mechanism for SSO/global permissions/DDNS than just a networked filesystem... There is no really comparable alternative that I know of... the closest things being stuff like Apache's Directory Server, which isn't as well integrated.
              Well, there is LDAP.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Well, there is LDAP.
                Yes, basically Active Directory is a *modified* LDAP with M$'s own extensions to the LDAP protocol and that's what Samba is doing...supporting Active Directory so that it'll make a Linux server be a drop in replacement for a Domain Controller/AD/DDNS server on a Windows network

Comment

Active Directory is not just LDAP, it's LDAP + Kerberos, both with M$ extensions.

Comment

Working...
                  X