Preparing For The Release of Wayland 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    lol if anything then Weston is similar to Compiz (being a compositor as an example implementation of the Wayland Protocol). The fact that you can't even make this distinction leads me to belive, that you don't know much about the whole issue.
    It doesn't matter how compositor is named.

Comment

It isn't a matter of names, the things that you posted were meaningless...

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
        It doesn't matter how compositor is named.
        Care to explain why compositing in general is a bad thing and why it should be inherently slow?

Comment

Care to explain why compositing in general is a bad thing and why it should be inherently slow?
          According to most benchmarks at Phoronix compositing slows down OpenGL applications.

Comment

According to most benchmarks at Phoronix compositing slows down OpenGL applications.
            Hint: XFCE, KDE and GNOME3 also use compositing and are still faster than Unity. You should read a little bit more not just look at some graphs.

Comment

This domain is for sale! Fast and easy shopping. Trusted and secure since 2005.

soreau has 51 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

Comment

Hint: XFCE, KDE and GNOME3 also use compositing and are still faster than Unity. You should read a little bit more not just look at some graphs.
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is comparison of KDE with and without compositing.
                Applications are much faster if compositing is disabled.

Comment

Please, take a look (and read) here: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html, there is a big architectural difference between a Wayland compositor and a X compositor, Weston isn't "yet another X compositor".

Comment

Does Wayland support XRender?

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...desktops&num=6
                      There is comparison of KDE with and without compositing.
                      Applications are much faster if compositing is disabled.
                      That's not really true. "Suspended" is not the same as "Disabled". KWIN can be "enabled" and set to auto-suspend when a full screen application starts, and it works flawlessly so KWIN doesn't sap performance from your video card.

There are at least two major benefits that KWIN can do that can significantly increase your desktop experience on slower, older hardware.

The first one is "scale resize" effect. This allows you to GPU accelerate resize any window and it will resize the window with perfect smoothness. If you turn this off, resizing a firefox window with a modern webpage loaded inside it is very choppy on my PC. This desktop effect is *amazing* as the CPU usage while resizing windows drops to 0% instead of 100% and it is *very* smooth on a 6+ year old laptop.

The other major benefit that KWIN compositing can do is fix the repainting problems where you move a window in front of another window. The CPU is too busy to redraw the other window so you see a messy trail of the first window all over the second window. At least until the second window gets a chance to redraw. So you get presented with an incorrect display of your open applications. With KWIN Effects enabled, this simply never happens anymore and you can drag windows wherever you like without having any window trail problems.

So yes, even though I'm running kwin effects with only 1 desktop effect, I'd definitely say that my Desktop is a lot better because of it. Also, I can confidently say my Desktop is better than Windows XP as I know the "window trailing" in front of other windows that "aren't responding" was always an annoying graphical problem on Windows XP.

Further, I can force my GPU into a low power state and KWIN still runs smoothly.

Comment

Working...
                      X