Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Shafting Linux Users With Clover Trail: No Support

Phoronix: Intel Shafting Linux Users With Clover Trail: No Support

While Intel can be loved for consistently supporting their in-house products under Linux, and their Open-Source Technology Center (OTC) makes great strides at improving Linux from open-source contributions to the Mesa graphics stack to doing all sorts of kernel-level work along with major contributions to WebKit, Tizen, Wayland, and other key open-source components, they have a new blemish. It appears Intel won't be supporting their forthcoming Atom "Clover Trail" hardware under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think this is the better decision than half-baked support. Why pretend when third party restrictions on the IP make it impossible to provide proper support and updates over the product life-cycle?

Comment

The real solution is to use their massive R&D engine to develop a small and powerful GPU that eliminates the need for relying on PowerVR IP.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
        I think this is the better decision than half-baked support. Why pretend when third party restrictions on the IP make it impossible to provide proper support and updates over the product life-cycle?
        I had the same line of thought. The second Michael said it used PowerVR my initial reaction "Well, no loss to us!" Very happy to see that Intel is now confident enough in their own GPU lineup to be using it (with Valley View) instead of licensing PowerVR
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          The real solution is to use their massive R&D engine to develop a small and powerful GPU that eliminates the need for relying on PowerVR IP.
          You mean Ivy Bridge / Haswell? lol
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I wouldn't call it "shafting". I think it's just a different department / branch of Intel that likes to do things the ass-backwards way. So just avoid buying those products and those people in that PowerVR branch of Intel will get all laid off for not being as profitable. IMO, sounds more like the higher ups at Intel are just chasing after every potential revenue stream, which I really don't have a problem with as long as Intel does provide other solutions that make me happy.

I'm still looking forward to buying Haswell for my next laptop.

Comment

Another Microsoft Monopoly

This time they've monopolized Intel's engineering time, preventing their competitors from even developing products in the first place.

Comment

Every? HARDLY

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                sounds more like the higher ups at Intel are just chasing after every potential revenue stream
                If they were looking at EVERY potential revenue stream then they would work with more than ONE vendor.

Comment

If it's using PowerVr it's useless anyway. The question is when will ValleyView arrive ? I've heard things like the end of 2013 which is quite late. I'm hoping it will arrive sooner than that, in the first half of 2013.

Comment

To be honest I'm happy there will be no support for another PowerVR chip. If you are going to make support it should work well or otherwise just don't do it. A situation like the one with previous PowerVR chips was just a bad point in the intel history, even if it was not a real intel product there was the intel brand in the notebooks. I'm happy they will do serious support for the next generation, Valley View, and I strongly hope they will just do the same (and hopefully even better) support for the next chips from that one going on.

Keep up the good work free software work intel

Comment

Working...
                    X