Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz Working On Unredirected Fullscreen Windows

Phoronix: Compiz Working On Unredirected Fullscreen Windows

Ubuntu developers are working on improving the performance of Unity and Compiz, but it may take a while that will almost certainly extend past the Ubuntu 12.10 release. As part of this, support for un-redirecting full-screen windows has been improved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a solution

Shameless plug for my own solution to this: https://github.com/coder543/procmon

Procmon is a tool to respond to changes in the process landscape. You can have a rule set so that when such and such game is started, kill unity. When it exits, start unity. Stuff like that... pretty simple, and compiling it is a breeze because it really is only one C file and one H file, and it acts as an interpreter similar to how bash acts as an interpreter.

Comment

I personally would prefer an option that doesn't involve unredircting fullscreen windows, there are still plenty of useful cases for compositing a them.

Comment

what about dual monitor? if you disable redirecting how do they plan to handle the other desktop?

Comment

Canonical could have pumped 1mil into Lima for example, instead of what was it again? Better mali support is better for everybody.

Comment

I just hope we get better performance sooner rather than later!

Liam of www.gamingonlinux.com and www.linux4today.com

Comment

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
              DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
              DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10
              DISTRIB_CODENAME=quantal
              DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu quantal (development branch)"

$ compiz --version
              Compiz 0.9.8.0

Comment

There isn't a single on topic post in here. They are all bitching and random piles of text.....

Get EXCITED! This is what you've been complaining thta Unity needed, Unredirected Fullscreen Windows to improve performance! Imagine the L4D2 performance now!

Or are you guys so uncomfortable priasing a positive thing about Ubuntu that you are incapable of coherent type?!?

Comment

I posted a valid solution to the issue, how is that complaining? When unredirected fullscreen gets implemented, that will be good, but most people complain about Unity's design not its implementation. They think it is a sucky idea for a user interface. I don't think it's all that bad, but you need to understand what they're complaining about for you to complain effectively about their complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
                    I posted a valid solution to the issue, how is that complaining? When unredirected fullscreen gets implemented, that will be good, but most people complain about Unity's design not its implementation. They think it is a sucky idea for a user interface. I don't think it's all that bad, but you need to understand what they're complaining about for you to complain effectively about their complaints.
                    Ok, your post was the exception. Question, did you ever give your code to Sam Spilsbury for review?

Also, people do complain about the implementation of Unity. They complain that its slows down graphics, like all composited interfaces do. They complained that there was "Unredirected Fullscreen Windows" support like KDE and Gnome Shell.

Any complaints about the astetics of the interface is garbage though, its all up to the user to decide if they like that. They might not like it, but it doesn't mean that anyone wants to hear about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X