Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases Lower-Cost Kepler Graphics Cards

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases Lower-Cost Kepler Graphics Cards

NVIDIA has unveiled today the lower-cost GeForce 600 "Kepler" graphics cards: the GeForce GTX 650 and GTX 660...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With the open-source Nouveau driver, the GeForce GTX 650/660 graphics cards might work when the PCI IDs are there
    Nouveau does not use PCI IDs. Its modalias makes it load on any display device with a vendor ID from NVIDIA. The driver then checks the chip family (without using PCI IDs) and starts driving the device if the family is known, which is the case for Kepler (NVEx chips - the GK107 is found to identify itself as NVE7).

Comment

GTX 660 low cost ????? WTF????

Comment

Originally posted by Gentoo View Post
        GTX 660 low cost ????? WTF????
        Well, $230 USD is lower cost than the GTX 680 at $500, the GTX 670 at $400, and the GTX 660 Ti at $300.

The GTX 650 is also launching today at $109 MSRP.

Comment

low power kepler

It's about time they released a single PCI-E plug kepler card. I was beginning to think i was going to be stuck on my GTS450 forever in my silverstone SG05. There are only 350 watts of power available, and only 9" of length. So even the 550Ti was too power hungry.

I keep hearing good things about the modern ATI cards/drivers, but i still see lots of "${FOO} doesn't work on wine with ATI, works fine with nvidia".

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
            I keep hearing good things about the modern ATI cards/drivers, but i still see lots of "${FOO} doesn't work on wine with ATI, works fine with nvidia".
            This is really hardly an argument. The solution, which you are seeking, is either correct written native software, or windows running in parallel with linux under some kind of hardware hypervisor with full access to hardware. Because, even if wine is really great wrapper, there will always be bugs and chases.. This isn't a long term solution, nor there is a guarantee for software pieces to start working ok under wine automagically after specific time amount.

Comment

Working...
            X