Linux Kernel Whackos: Drop Everything But ARM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    And longsoon might be better, but it's ARM that has all the developers, all the love, etc..

I can buy a arm board tomorrow for 30 euros, show me where I can do the same with longsoon.
    why not pay more money for a better product ? If you can pay ~500? for a transformer 32bit ARM notebook why not pay ~1000? for a 64bit loongson system ?

I'm not against "ARM" in 2014 if they will deliver 64 support I?m fine with ARM to.

I also think that the loongson products will be become cheap in the future.

Comment

Ahhh the joys of Phoronix where the morons come out to troll about things that don't really matter.

Come on people all that stuff on the LKML was just some tongue in cheek trolling, so why get your feathers all afuffle?

Comment

The users of this forum are a good micro sample of the linux community...

That's why linux it's just forks, personal wars, bitterness, uncooperation and not working drivers.

I'm suprised the thing even boots at all .. but given the choices of window/mac os and linux, it's like having to choose diahrrea, infected feces and a fossilized turd.

Just wait until I have one of those odroidx's or a a15minipc, I will be running jelly bean while you fuckers will be fapping away because steam just released pac man on linux... lol

I seriously believe wintel has missed the boat, windows 8 will fail in an uber way and intel will run around like a derpy chicken.

arm and android are the future, you go to a store here and you see a bunch of fancy 1.500 euros ultrabooks all lined up and shit but no one cares...

You know what all the kids, teenage girls, french tourists, etc go to see?

The tablets, the transformer pads, the hybrids.... this is the exact quote from a girl that was messing around with a asus transformer pad " I'm in love with this thing "

microsoft and intel will now have sex to impregnate each other so they can give birth to some abortion like the windows 8 tablet but it will be a still birth.

I know linux community is a clusterfuck of sexually repressed nerds that can't work well together even if their own lifes depended on it

BUT

this guy was no troll, if you shift the development resources of the community into arm development you are going to see a bright future

The year of the linux desktop will never come, forget it, it's dead.

The year of the linux embebded device/minipc/board it's there if you want it.

And longsoon might be better, but it's ARM that has all the developers, all the love, etc..

I can buy a arm board tomorrow for 30 euros, show me where I can do the same with longsoon.
        Self-diagnosis?

Comment

Who read this news and don't noticed that this was a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
            Who read this news and don't noticed that this was a joke?
            Oh, it's a joke? Shit, I missed that!

You see, when I read the quotes in the article, somehow I assumed that the GNOME foundation had taken over the kernel. Since they've already made invisible most of the interesting things you can do with a UI, it's only natural that they'd apply the same you-don't-need-no-stinkin-config to the kernel next.

And now, here I learn that I'm not going to be relieved of the knowledge of file systems on my wasteland of a desktop, because apparently the original post was just reporting some other schmuck's gasbaggery. :sad face:

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
              Oh, it's a joke? Shit, I missed that!

You see, when I read the quotes in the article, somehow I assumed that the GNOME foundation had taken over the kernel. Since they've already made invisible most of the interesting things you can do with a UI, it's only natural that they'd apply the same you-don't-need-no-stinkin-config to the kernel next.

And now, here I learn that I'm not going to be relieved of the knowledge of file systems on my wasteland of a desktop, because apparently the original post was just reporting some other schmuck's gasbaggery. :sad face:
              Fine sir, you win an internet.

Comment

arm and android are the future, you go to a store here and you see a bunch of fancy 1.500 euros ultrabooks all lined up and shit but no one cares...

You know what all the kids, teenage girls, french tourists, etc go to see?

The tablets, the transformer pads, the hybrids.... this is the exact quote from a girl that was messing around with a asus transformer pad " I'm in love with this thing "

microsoft and intel will now have sex to impregnate each other so they can give birth to some abortion like the windows 8 tablet but it will be a still birth.

I know linux community is a clusterfuck of sexually repressed nerds that can't work well together even if their own lifes depended on it

BUT

this guy was no troll, if you shift the development resources of the community into arm development you are going to see a bright future

The year of the linux desktop will never come, forget it, it's dead.

The year of the linux embebded device/minipc/board it's there if you want it.

Just to keep it clear, I am an unborn. I do some coding, but I am still far away from kernel development. So far so good, linux is a little chaotic; I would love 1000x more to see linux as a fully susv compliant o/s but we all know that it hadn't been done that way, but I still like my linux...and hate the documentation, which for the part I've tried to read tend to not be quite consistent; it lack of some key information for the beginner that I am. Even finding the right book is not so easy.

Stalling all dev except ARM is going to be their worst mistakes and it will be only a matter of times before it kill linux. Somehow that would mean that 12 years ago, support for x86, arm and everything except ia64 would be halted... Dropping arch support indeed mean no portability, better to say that enterprises will all move to BSD or else.

Arch support should be halted only proven it have been proven that no support is required. Even better nobody need to kill support, the only thing they need to do is to put their efforts elsewhere, and if it end up that nobody cares about this arch it mean that it have died of its own.

Because otherwise all it can mean is to remove the modularity from linux, and it's the worst bad idea. The funny thing is that it will still need to be developed (completely rebuilt) carefully before showing any gain. Such approach is quite backward.

Comment

Working...
                X