Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Greenlight Begins Listing Games For Linux

Phoronix: Steam Greenlight Begins Listing Games For Linux

Valve's Steam Greenlight is beginning to list games for Linux. So far 16 games are listed for Linux on Steam Greenlight...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In a recent Steam update, this was one of the items:
    "Updated Steam binaries; fixes Linux crash on shutdown or restart"

Comment

Games with Linux support in "10" Greenlit:
      Project Zomboid
      Linux support too, assuming of course Steam is headed that way at some point.
      McPixel
      What are the system requirements?
      Windows XP
      Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
      Linux 2.6
      Built using Adobe AIR

Comment

I was expecting to see all the games that have been in the Humble Bundles. But yeah its still early.

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
          Games with Linux support in "10" Greenlit:
          Project Zomboid
          McPixel
          You missed Towns.

Originally posted by talvik View Post
          In a recent Steam update, this was one of the items:
          "Updated Steam binaries; fixes Linux crash on shutdown or restart"
          If you're referring to the TF2 update that was clearly for the server.

Comment

Euro Truck "SMulator" 2?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              I was expecting to see all the games that have been in the Humble Bundles. But yeah its still early.
              Those are already on Steam. This is not what Greenlight is about.

Comment

Greenlight is about getting Valve to fund new games, isn't it?

Not just sticking already existing games onto Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Greenlight is about getting Valve to fund new games, isn't it? Not just sticking already existing games onto Steam.
                  No, it's not.
                  Greenlight and Kickstarter are completely different.
                  The problem that Steam has had in the past is that major stuidios have spent millions of dollars and pushed out great big piles of poo for games. Meanwhile, independent developers have very very low budgets, but also have a capacity to make very original and high quality games that don't sell very well because they don't have any advertising dollars and not many people know about them.

In the distant past, it was only the games that have spent millions of dollars on their development that would *EVER* appear on Stream.
                  Since the humble bundle, lots of very low budget, very creative, and high quality games have shown up on stream. However if your game is not in the Humble Bundle, then there is very little chance of your low budget game getting into steam.

Steam Greenlight allows *ANY* user to request *ANY* game (completed or not) to be put into steam and if it gets enough votes then it simply happens. On top of that, Steam Greenlight will filter out games that users think are garbage, regardless of how much the developers can spend on advertising or how much they spent developing the game.
                  Last edited by Sidicas; 12 September 2012, 09:30 PM.

Comment

i saw the tab

some games were ok, i voted up about 5 or so of the 16.

im glad valve is sticking this out there so early (or right on schedule if they get a beta out soon after)
                    as it helps with preventing it with being alienated on its first launch,
                    i will expect a bunch of minor linux add-ins on steam soon, even when the actual things not launched to the public yet

still kinda wondering how big picture would be on linux, spell me a custom virtualbox for big picture please

Comment

Working...
                    X