Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GLSL To LLVM Implementation For Mesa

Phoronix: New GLSL To LLVM Implementation For Mesa

Vincent Lejeune has shared a new Mesa branch that he's currently soliciting for comments as it introduces a new GLSL to LLVM pass. He hopes drivers will begin to use it, including the Intel driver with their new-found LLVM compiler ambitions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stupid Question time...

If Intel goes with this GLSL -> LLVM IR code, and we have existing TGSI -> LLVM code for the r600/SI chips, how hard would it be in the future for the Intel drivers to take advantage of the Gallium3d architecture through the existing State Trackers, the TGSI=>LLVM converter, and then their LLVM back-end?

In the end, will it matter that Intel decided to forgo building their own gallium3d driver if they have this back-end and the existing TGSI->LLVM code?

Yes, I realize that there's still probably a lot of work to do to make the existing r600g/si conversion pass hardware-agnostic, but would it be worth it to gain the OpenCL state tracker (and the other state trackers that gallium3d provides).

Comment

I'm glad to see they finally make the agreement on the IR to use
      Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Stupid Question time...

If Intel goes with this GLSL -> LLVM IR code, and we have existing TGSI -> LLVM code for the r600/SI chips, how hard would it be in the future for the Intel drivers to take advantage of the Gallium3d architecture through the existing State Trackers, the TGSI=>LLVM converter, and then their LLVM back-end?

In the end, will it matter that Intel decided to forgo building their own gallium3d driver if they have this back-end and the existing TGSI->LLVM code?

Yes, I realize that there's still probably a lot of work to do to make the existing r600g/si conversion pass hardware-agnostic, but would it be worth it to gain the OpenCL state tracker (and the other state trackers that gallium3d provides).
      If Intel wants to use G3D, they had to switch their driver from mesa to g3d. i think it would not be very hard, although i can't figure out why they need to do this immediately except OpenCL support. But, you know Intel has Xeon Phi now....

For TGSI, i believe it will fade out in years while nobody are interested in it. Intel didn't use it in the first and AMD is developing llvm driver now. I've no idea on the nouveau community, but if they want OpenCL on nouveau, LLVM IR is essential while TGSI isn't.

Comment

Working...
      X