Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E17 Is Another Step Closer To Release

Phoronix: Enlightenment E17 Is Another Step Closer To Release

Are you looking forward to the official -- and long-awaited -- release of Enlightenment's E17 in the near future?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wasn't E16 released just a couple of years ago?

Comment

the LinuxCon event is not in Prague but in Barcelona...

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
        Wasn't E16 released just a couple of years ago?
        not, it was released far before.

Comment

Originally posted by vtorri View Post
          not, it was released far before.
          That was supposed to be funny, because it looks like Elightenment has a release once a decade or so.... apart from that I used E17 before and its perfect for mobile devices etc.

Comment

I've been using E17 since 2007. It has been rewritten at least once since then, but it's been quite stable for all those years - more than LXDE or KDE4 I would say. The main peeve I used to have with it was - in case of power outage, the config folder used to get pretty broken, so I kept a backup of "the configuration" just in case...

Comment

e17 suffers from KDEsitis, big fat badly drawn icons all over the place, text and icons badly coppled together

ultra complex, confusing, configuration windows

looks like it was made by a 7 year old with crayons, crude and amateurish

the only good thing is that it's really fast and snappy, I gather the fastest one I've tried

but here's what a lightweight desktop should look like, clean, consice, simple and professional

Comment

Don't blame the devs if you can't configure it. There's always the clearlooks theme for E, if you want something much less bling.

And there's many others...

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  e17 suffers from KDEsitis, big fat badly drawn icons all over the place, text and icons badly coppled together

ultra complex, confusing, configuration windows

looks like it was made by a 7 year old with crayons, crude and amateurish

the only good thing is that it's really fast and snappy, I gather the fastest one I've tried

but here's what a lightweight desktop should look like, clean, consice, simple and professional

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Yfa-O3ublQ...buntu12.10.png
                  While i'll agree that the default theme and icons scratches my retina the UI/UX is far more logical than other DEs. The theme and icons can be fixed.

On the configuration settings there are a few things that can be made better IMO ie. better grouping more thoughtful placement of the buttons and selections and maybe make the windows that pop up modal.

I also thing it needs more native apps ie NetworkManager, a proper desktop music player (xmms2 based maybe??), a desktop manager (is elsa alive???) , a text editor etc. There have been project but don't think any is still alive.
                  Last edited by 89c51; 12 September 2012, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    I also thing it needs more native apps ie NetworkManager, a proper desktop music player (xmms2 based maybe??), a desktop manager (is elsa alive???) , a text editor etc. There have been project but don't think any is still alive.
                    there is a connman module, iirc

desktop music player : 'enjoy', but we can do better, i think. 'Enjoy' has several bugs.

'elsa' has been renamed as 'entrance' (like the old session manager) and it is still alive

text editor : there is one which is currently underdevelopment, but we are lacking manpower. The dev is also a core dev, so he has not a lot of time.

i'm myself working on a multi doc viewer ala okular. It's alive too

there is also a new game : http://brunodilly.org/blog/escape-from-booty-bay/ which is more a proof of concept for the EFL and games

Comment

Working...
                    X