Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xwayland: current status, tips, problems

Hi,

So today I tried xwayland with my HD 6550M.

I already have mesa from git, wayland and weston installed in the system directories.

So I got xwayland and f86-video-ati from the git repositories mentioned here: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html

So I compiled xwayland with
    Code:
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/programs/xwayland/
    make -j4
    make install
    xf86-video-ati must be compiled against that xserver, so after installing xwayland:
    Code:
    WLD=$HOME/programs/xwayland   # change this to another location if you prefer
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$WLD/lib
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$WLD/lib/pkgconfig/:$WLD/share/pkgconfig/
    ACLOCAL="aclocal -I $WLD/share/aclocal"
    export WLD LD_LIBRARY_PATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH ACLOCAL
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/programs/xwayland/
    make -j4
    make install
    Then I read all kind of documentation and googled how to tell weston where the xserver is because the docs only mention to use weston --xserver and it will start "the xserver" automatically.
    weston needs to be told where the xserver is with:
    Code:
    ./autogen.sh --with-xserver-path=$HOME/programs/xwayland/bin/X (--prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib/weston)
    It would probably a good idea to put this in the documentation...

So then I'm ready. There must be no other X server running or xwayland will not work.

Following the tutorial I put my user in a group called weston-launch and then did:
    Code:
    weston-launch -- --xserver
    My first try is xterm from a weston terminal, but... nothing seems to happen.
    An xserver owned by my user is started but it has 100% cpu usage and no new window is created.
    Why? The xwayland documentation says it should work this way.

Second try is
    Code:
    sudo XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp weston --xserver
    . xterm in a weston terminal WORKS. Most other tools work. I am impressed that opengl in the form of xonotic works almost flawlessly. The gtk3 menus don't work. Epiphany often disconnects from the xserver for several reasons (I/O errors, xserver closes the connection to its clients) while browsing. I have a hard time, going for more than 2 minutes without some component segfaulting, especially when playing flash videos - the xwayland clients as well as weston itself.

I am still skeptical about wayland + xwayland doing anything useful for end users in the foreseeable time.
Working...
X