Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2D Also Bad For Ubuntu Unity Against KDE, GNOME, LXDE, Xfce

Quote Originally Posted by Rigaldo View Post
    And what exactly is this real work if I may ask?
    No idea. And also martin, kwin developer, says
    We optimize for real desktop usage, so I do not care at all about any game rendering performance
    when talking about game benchmarks, so I don't know what "real desktop usage" means either. Might exclude multimedia too?

Linux's desktop use might be developers/programming only. So thats why I said one shouldn't expect "real graphics cards" to be used or tested on linux

Quote Originally Posted by sheldonl View Post
    While we are hammering on Unity, perhaps we should be hammering on the KDE guys as well.
    I was wondering about that as well. KDE seems to lose compared to unity in terms of performance. That is if you ignore the wealth of issues a benchmark like this has and just take the given numbers..

I think LXDE is a very unappreciated DE in the Linux environment, for the blazing speed it provides with a completely functional panel/environment is pretty astonishing and more props should be given to something like that. I have to say also, that I've had less problems (an easier time solving them also when I did) with LXDE than any other DE.

I would be interested to see how things like Openbox, Enlightenment, Fluxbox and other WMs that can replace environments stack up to the real DEs.

I agree on the LXDE sentiment, with the caveat that this has only applied recently. It has improved quite a bit in the past year, but it used to be something of a quirky, buggy mess. Light yes, but quirky. But they seem to have gotten most of those issues worked out.

I think would be useful to compare kde performance with desktop effects completly disabled