Ten Suggestions For The GNOME Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post

all else is for fat people with tablets...
    Man you represent the perfect synthesis for Gnome 3 haters this days...I mean, you can't argue with that!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrinnho View Post
      Man you represent the perfect synthesis for Gnome 3 haters this days...I mean, you can't argue with that!
      wide borders, big touch spaces, inability to change any of that just tells its made for fat fingers
      its not hate, its logic
      even unity required some precision while you can use gnome3 with a rubber hammer on a touchscreen

some like it, some do not
      thats why theres so much trolling around
      and to be honest its pointless, no1 is stopping you from using gnome2 xfce cinnamon or whatever looks like old gnome and its shown you cant influence the dev's so... why fight

Comment

you cant influence the dev's so... why fight
        Of course you can: don't use it, and definitely don't contribute to it. Development and usage are the currency of the open-source model, so by not using it you are very loudly giving your opinion.

Comment

wide borders, big touch spaces, inability to change any of that just tells its made for fat fingers
          its not hate, its logic
          following your logic here...man, I should put my mouse on a diet someday.

Comment

(why in the hell would you want 2 panels on the screen???!!!)
            That is NOT for them (or you) to decide. Gnome-2 did NOT make you have 2 panels. If you only wanted one, you were free to only create ONE. If you want NINE, you were free to do that too. I *personally* want two panels to separate FUNCTION. Top panel for static launchers, menus, applets, etc., bottom panel for dynamic content like open window lists. You can't put those two into one panel because there wouldn't be enough space on one panel. You can't reasonably use two rows in a single panel because then you have to waste time/effort on unnecessary precision in order to select the proper row.

I use gnome-shell, customized to hell and back. It looks just like a two-row configuration of gnome-panel (gnome-2). It is efficient. I don't want to go into freaking retard mode blowing that worthless ugly interface over everything when all I want to do is bring another window to the front. I want that window listed right there and be easily accessed.

Gnome is going to hell, determined to drive themselves entirely into irrelevance. I could care less about it being "pretty", I need it to be FUNCTIONAL. They focus on worthless glitter. I WANT UGLY AND PRACTICAL!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
              Of course you can: don't use it, and definitely don't contribute to it. Development and usage are the currency of the open-source model, so by not using it you are very loudly giving your opinion.
              Here is the big problem; there are MANY people who would LIKE to contribute, but those a$$holes who run gnome IGNORE them. There is no option to contribute. And not using it is also not an option since there aren't any viable replacements for it.... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Here is the big problem; there are MANY people who would LIKE to contribute, but those a$$holes who run gnome IGNORE them. There is no option to contribute. And not using it is also not an option since there aren't any viable replacements for it.... yet.
                Sorry to barge in here; I am actually involved in GNOME.

Could you give any references to where you tried to contribute and were rejected? Could you show me the lack of options to contribute? I see various new Git accounts being created every week. So I wonder why you think otherwise.

Also please note that GNOME is a bunch of people, not everyone is a man, so calling everyone assholes is aside from rude also pretty sexist. Do note that within GNOME being needlessly rude is not acceptable behaviour.

Comment

Can't help but heavily rant on this one. Sorry in andvance...

You shouldn't be eating in front of your PC, bad things can happen
                  But seriously, is it that hard to press META and type 2-3 letters from the name of the app/file you want to load?
                  Is it really that hard to keep a usage concept that actually works with primary and/or mouse only usage? Instead of actually improving usability devs start making fun out of users wishes. Year right. Best thing to do. Maybe that's one of the reasons why so many "free" (equals unpaid) developers loiter in open source projects. If one of our developers would slap a users face with such a comment ("hey retard, is it really that hard to use the friggin keyboard...") he'd be fired within hours. A perfect example for "Why I'm sick of developers mailing lists".

But I could agree with you on this one. I guess people who eat in front of the monitor can't use Gnome-Shell.
                  Someone please put this one on that list. It should sound like '11-Improve support for eating by bringing back those damn clickable panels'
                  And it goes on. Making fun out of other peoples usage preferences. Guess what: I'm frequently sitting on the couch with my netbook while eating snacks with one hand and surfing the net or looking something up with the other hand using a touchpad. And I don't want to friggin use keys where there's no sane reason except for a moron developer saying "you shouldn't do that because I think you shouldn't. And therefore I made it cumbersome to do it.".

Yep, you nailed it this time...it's Apple's fault. Gnome devs should't innovate, because, well, that's a thing only Apple does.
                  Who the fuck decided that Innovation nowadays means making things worse? And when we're done making usability go away we double our efforts to store every rubbish online. Just becasue Apple does it it must be right.
                  On another Mailing list they mentioned the other day that playing CD/DVD media physically (by inseting discs in a drive) is too 70s to further support. The moment Linux goes that far I can swith to an OS that actually has more experience in delivering crap. At least the software stack integrates well there.

Regards,
                  Martin

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                    ... not everyone is a man, so calling everyone assholes is aside from rude also pretty sexist.
                    So women can't be assholes? Now that's a discriminatory affirmation :P

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                      - If they remove the possibility to use sloppy focus in the name of "enhanced experience" I'll get homicidal.
                      You should be able to notice that sloppy focus handling has improved in every 3.x release. Not that it is perfect, but getting better.

I hope there will be another poll this year, and as someone wrote, this time with more specific questions. Sure there will still be a lot of haters, but Gnome devs have to accept that and come out of their bubble.
                      The current suggestions are useless. Vague and nothing concrete to be done. Despite claims that things are somehow unbiased, you cannot do much with this. Even ignoring the bias, some things are known and worked upon, others don't tell me anything.

One example: "Better customization support is needed. ": seems like nobody knows about extensions.gnome.org or something. Just guessing, because that is basically all you can do.

Another: "Improve the performance and memory foot-print with GNOME becoming "too bloated", using too much of the CPU and system memory. ": Memory usage + CPU usage is similar to GNOME 2 stuff. No details on what things are slow. Obviously performance is always worked upon, same for memory.

Most of this list also reminds me reminds me of that Henry Ford quote: "Henry Ford once said that, if he?d asked his customers what they wanted, they?d have asked for a faster horse."

Phoronix/Michael seem to totally ignore this. You need to understand why people are doing things and that is way more involved that this '10 suggestions' list.

Things need to be interpreted. Not taken at face value.

Anyway, the following link explains it better:

Comment

Working...
                      X