Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatWhite View Post
    Yes - I wrote it
    Haha, at first I was like "stupid trolls...", but then I realized you're actually being serious (and a developer).

When I read "font rendering is slightly different" I was just about to post a question regarding which
    library you use to achieve that (already guessing cairo), but I see you already answered that (;

Would you maybe mind posting (at some time) a blog post or something similar regarding your
    experience of porting to Linux / your thoughts on the varous APIs (GTK/cairo etc.) / anything you found good or bad in general?

Comment

Show me the code

Dear Phoronix,
      You said
      Lightworks, the professional non-linear video editor that was open-sourced in mid-2010, is finally about to see its long-awaited Linux release.
      (emphasis mine).

That statement is, unless proven otherwise, a huge lie. It was just announced, not open-sourced. As far as I can see, there has never been any source code release. Provide us with a link to the source code or please change your statement on your article.

Comment

Originally posted by kiddo View Post
        a huge lie
        I prefer "mistake".

Comment

I tested the window sversion a few months ago, but couldnt found a comprehensive tutorial describing to do a task as trivial as moving a video segment in front of another in the timeline. Is not as easy as OpenShot, but well, it is very powerful (at least they say so), probably takes some time to master it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            Haha, at first I was like "stupid trolls...", but then I realized you're actually being serious (and a developer).

When I read "font rendering is slightly different" I was just about to post a question regarding which
            library you use to achieve that (already guessing cairo), but I see you already answered that (;

Would you maybe mind posting (at some time) a blog post or something similar regarding your
            experience of porting to Linux / your thoughts on the varous APIs (GTK/cairo etc.) / anything you found good or bad in general?
            The bulk of the work in porting to Linux was actually in re-architecting our (large) existing codebase to make it platform-agnostic; the Linux-specific code is actually quite small.

OpenGL/X-Windows presented some challenges; Lightworks is very multi-threaded and updates its video windows from threads other than the main/ui thread - this meant that calls to glXSwapBuffers() were blocked by the event-waiting loop, which killed playback completely.. We had to explicitly ensure that we used multiple connections to the X server to avoid unwanted inter-thread blocking behaviour.

Video card drivers are a continuing source of frustration, particularly with ATI hardware. For example, copying data from the graphics card back to host/main memory appears to be many, many times slower than it is when using Direct3D/Windows with exactly the same hardware.

Comment

oh ati hardware under linux is better ignored.

This is really cool as I'm still using FC6 on os x.... too bad for h264 encoding not being free, but you guys gotta eat.

are the sandy bridge/ivy bridge integrated graphics usable or do you recommend that nvidia fx8 thing?

also, would someone used to final cut be able to easily make the switch? I've been hearing people tend to migrate to adobe premiere after final cut

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                I prefer "mistake".
                Well, I hope to see this mistake corrected. Otherwise, when someone points out that the information is wrong or lacks a source, the mistake actually becomes a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  are the sandy bridge/ivy bridge integrated graphics usable or do you recommend that nvidia fx8 thing?
                  I haven't done any testing with Intel Graphics chipsets yet, so I'm afraid I can't say.

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  would someone used to final cut be able to easily make the switch?
                  We have lots of users who've done exactly that. Lightworks may look different to other editing systems, but once you understand the basics, editing is simple. There are video tutorials available to help new users get started.

Comment

Originally posted by kiddo View Post
                    Well, I hope to see this mistake corrected. Otherwise, when someone points out that the information is wrong or lacks a source, the mistake actually becomes a lie.
                    There's a recent quote here

Comment

what's the perfomance hit under linux compared to windows? 10%

would be cool if the guy from this site could benchmark that

Comment

Working...
                      X