Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: ALUSA Atom Desktop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,114

    Default ALUSA Atom Desktop

    Phoronix: ALUSA Atom Desktop

    For the past several weeks I have been testing out the ALUSA Atom Desktop with Linux. As implied by the name it's an Intel Atom powered desktop/nettop computer, but this Atom system comes out of Portugal from a small Linux-focused start-up company.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17934

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Here's the thing about pricing: everything costs more in Europe because the prices are converted from USD using the following formula:

    price in USD - $ + €

    Example:

    AwesomeGPU price: $250

    Price in Europe: $250 - $ = 250, 250 + € = 250€

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    echo '$250' | sed 's/^\$//' | sed 's/$//'

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Here's the thing about pricing: everything costs more in Europe because the prices are converted from USD using the following formula:

    price in USD - $ + €

    Example:

    AwesomeGPU price: $250

    Price in Europe: $250 - $ = 250, 250 + € = 250€

    no, because the portuguese unlike, say, the americans or chinese that want to sell higher quantities at a lower profit, they prefer to sell much lower quantities at a much much higher profit margin


    that and the 23% tax rate


    which by the way you wouldn't have to pay since you are buying it outside EU. But again, porkies have no business management skills or anything, and that's why it's a bankrupt country that has to buy stuff from china and doesn't even bother rebrand it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    30

    Default Better buy AMD based barebone directly from Foxconn instead

    Hi,

    I don't see much benefit in buying this thing from ALUSA, when you can buy just as good FoxConn barebone with FoxConn brand, with AMD CPU, probably for less money. OK, ALUSA might have linux preinstalled, but I imagine most Phoronix readers can do that themselves.

    I've been running AMD E-350 based FoxConn nT-A3500 machine for a year and a half now. All 100% Open Source, running Debian, with open source Radeon drivers. It works great. I'm using it to play movies on TV, as a home internet router/firewall, as a download machine for longer downloads and generic home server. I didn't have any issues installing Debian Sid on it.

    Oh, and it looks like FoxConn now has two more AMD based barebones:

    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Produc...PC&Name=Brazos

    --Coder

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coder111 View Post
    I've been running AMD E-350 based FoxConn nT-A3500 machine for a year and a half now. All 100% Open Source, running Debian, with open source Radeon drivers. It works great.
    Good for you, but Hon Hai Precision Industry have problems with Linux support in the past http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249 and there is no guarantee for proper Linux support in other their products (except mentioned nT-A3500). That why products with proper BIOS/UEFI and guaranteed Linux support, like ALUSA, System76 and ZaReason, is still important.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Good for you, but Hon Hai Precision Industry have problems with Linux support in the past http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249 and there is no guarantee for proper Linux support in other their products (except mentioned nT-A3500). That why products with proper BIOS/UEFI and guaranteed Linux support, like ALUSA, System76 and ZaReason, is still important.
    What seems puzzling is that many linux hackers (kernel and otherwise) and commoners seem to buy Apple hardware and noone seems to be venturing/looking into the market of Hi-end linux machines.

    I know that i would be all over a machine with MBPr specs that will run linux flawlessly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,185

    Default

    Sure, clearly the four or five persons that would buy such a 2k linux laptop completely justify the effort in creating such

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Sure, clearly the four or five persons that would buy such a 2k linux laptop completely justify the effort in creating such


    Tell me that you wouldn't like running your command line on a HiDPI display. Imagine how crisp all the ascii art will look like and the possibilities of something like that


    Seriously i think we need something with good linux support on the mid to high end market. No manufacturer seems to care.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,185

    Default

    I'm getting old - my eyesight wouldn't give me any improvement for a retina display compared to a regular fullHD one at 24".


    But talking seriously too, the total addressable market is way too small. Say Corp A creates such a laptop for 2k and ships it with Ubuntu.

    How many of the 1% of linux users would consider it? Let's be generous and say 5%.
    Then how many of those would abandon it because a competitor offers a better keyboard/trackpad/more ports? Over half, given the tech-inclined audience.

    You just couldn't sell much of a single model. And even with a fuller range, the costs would skyrocket over the sales.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •