Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 A.D. Alpha 11 "Kronos" Begins Doing GLSL

Phoronix: 0 A.D. Alpha 11 "Kronos" Begins Doing GLSL

The eleventh alpha release of the 0 A.D. open-source real-time strategy game has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like great additions, I can't believe they didn't add shaders until now!

Comment

So Unvanquished looks amazing, despite being open-source and 0 A.D. not?

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
        So Unvanquished looks amazing, despite being open-source and 0 A.D. not?
        I agree, 0 A.D looks really good. They obviously have talented artists, the detail on the houses is really "cozy", if that isn't a good word for it, hehe.

Comment

I'm stunned they got so far without GLSL. It's amazing what the fixed function pipeline can do! But GLSL will allow them to move further forward.

Comment

Year 2024.
            0 A.D. finally released!
            With shaders! OMG OMG! Cutting edge!

The power of open source development. Year 2030, an amateur dev sends a patch with support for GL 3+ shaders. Merged and released in 2035!

Comment

0 AD has already been released, in the sense that you can download it now.

The game looked great before GLSL was added. There's no reason to add it until you actually have a use for it. They must have hit some limitation of the fixed function pipeline, at which point it becomes worth the effort to add GLSL.

One of my pet peeves is people who bash an engine because it doesn't support their favorite acronym.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                0 AD has already been released, in the sense that you can download it now.

The game looked great before GLSL was added. There's no reason to add it until you actually have a use for it. They must have hit some limitation of the fixed function pipeline, at which point it becomes worth the effort to add GLSL.

One of my pet peeves is people who bash an engine because it doesn't support their favorite acronym.
                One of my pet peeves is people who use pejorative semantics ("acronym") as a means to deflect from the obvious fact that shaders are long overdue for any self respecting desktop 3D game. No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig it's still a pig.

Comment

Look at this screenshot:

I think this looks all right. And it's from last year, before GLSL was added. The water is probably being done with ARB shaders instead.

You're being every bit as silly as this guy. The sooner people stop insisting on buzzword compliance, the happier we'll all be.

NOTE: I'm not dismissing the usefulness of GLSL, but if you don't need it, you don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                    Look at this screenshot:

I think this looks all right. And it's from last year, before GLSL was added. The water is probably being done with ARB shaders instead.

You're being every bit as silly as this guy. The sooner people stop insisting on buzzword compliance, the happier we'll all be.

NOTE: I'm not dismissing the usefulness of GLSL, but if you don't need it, you don't need it.
                    People in Nazi germany also lived well but it doesn't mean they were doing right, half-truths are the best friends of the demagogs.
                    You still pretend you don't get it? Or will you throw again a few silly pictures in and call names? If you're so sensible to a simple
                    fact that it's a shame not using shaders in 3D games you shouldn't argue, because it's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X