GameTree Linux Isn't Growing (Cedega)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameTree Linux Isn't Growing (Cedega)

Phoronix: GameTree Linux Isn't Growing (Cedega)

Back in January of 2011 it was announced that TransGaming would be retiring Cedega, the proprietary software formerly known as WineX that began as a fork of the MIT-licensed Wine. Cedega was to be succeeded by GameTree Linux, but this new TransGaming project hasn't been making much headway...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried Cedega and WineX a long time ago, but ended up with CrossOver and eventually Wine instead, since Cedega wouldn't work with one of my games. Cedega is meant for end users, and users shouldn't have to install developer tools like GameTree to get access to Cedega. Treating users like developers is one of the main complaints holding back Linux.

Comment

It's one of the many phoronix articles where something failed and forgotten but phoronix still brings it up for a dramatic story.
      Last edited by mark45; 08 September 2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I remember many years ago successfully using Cedega to run certain games that wouldn't run at all on Wine due to lack of proper Direct3D support. The last game I ever tried on Cedega was Guild Wars, and after a few builds it worked pretty well. I still wouldn't recommend them to anyone, though: instead of using the same license as current Wine and collaborating with Codeweavers, they went proprietary after forking a very, very old version of Wine.

They're a bad, bad company that thinks they know something about how to run a business, but really, they are clueless. Looks like they're headed into $0 value territory. Good for them.

Comment

Now, they do games for the fourth phone providers in france (and tv by phone) with the name of gametree. So don't think they don't have money, they just don't care about linux, they care about money.
          (And all their games curiously work fine with wine.)

Links: http://gametreetv.com

Links (in french):
          Free s'associe avec TransGaming pour élargir son catalogue de jeux vidéo accessible aux freenautes. Chaque semaine, de nouveaux jeux seront disponibles

Il y a quelques jours, nous vous faisions part du nouveau Game Pass du mois pour les jeux de Game Tree TV disponibles sur le freestore de la Freebox Révolution.   GameTree TV nous annonce désormais quelques nouveautés après quelques semaines assez ordinaires. Pour celles et ceux qui se sentent l’âme d’un berger, le jeu […]

Comment

Originally posted by Article
            If you are looking to run some Windows game binaries on Linux, you're best off using Wine and/or CodeWeavers' CrossOver. At least with Valve coming to Linux and other game publishers following, hopefully in the coming years Linux gaming will reach a point where using these Windows binary compatibility layers will become rare.
            I'll drink to that!

Comment

I used to be a Cedega customer for about two years, and with supported games it worked better than CrossOver. It's D3D wrapped had features CrossOver still misses today. But they couldn't keep up with development. Cedega codebase was patchwork, and that was obvious. Most people were not willing to pay for Cedega. There were about 5 to 10 active customers in the forums, which is nothibg a company could exist from. When the official games database closed and Unofficial Transgaming Wiki, a large user created games database ceased from opening new account I took over the wiki (http://ww.cedegawiki.net/) and kept it running till today. But there were litte cotributions since then. So I think people just didn't use Cedega, and thats why TransGaming decided to stop putting efforts into it. The GameTree Linux developer program is nothing more than a graveyard for Cedega.

Comment

Working...
              X