No announcement yet.

Crazies: Linux w/o Ethernet, Multi-Monitor, Multi-User

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, are we all so sure that it was intentional trolling and not just a very stupid or ignorant person? I CAN actually see where someone could come up with this nonsense, but actually believing it would be subject to ignorance relating to all the different kinds of places where Linux is actually used (rather than the incorrect belief that it is only used on cellphones or tablets).

It would be funny to think of what would happen to the internet if ethernet got dropped from the Linux kernel.

And wireless faster than optical drives? LMFAO!!!! Yeah, that's funny... but again, if somebody actually believed the rogers/bell/telus advertising that they see on television (and we know that people do actually believe advertising lies, otherwise apple would never have sold even ONE phone...), then it IS conceivable that they might think this.

So.... intentional trolling? or very very very sad?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      It works faster than WiFi, is more secure than WiFi and goes further in range than WiFi! Many places use it because it works and is cheap, besides the drivers don't take up that much do they?
      More range than wifi?
      Seriously? You think so?

One of my places is connected to the rest of the world only by wifi link. That link spans a distance of 25 km.
      Yeah, 25 THOUSAND meters. 16 miles.

Ethernet is limited to 25 meters before you need a repeater.

So yeah, I'm running a wifi link at a distance THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE longer than ethernet.

What if people want to connect their HDTV to their mobile/smartphone? That's two screens too!
      Yep. Sure is.
      Also all those dual-display phones.

Single device used by two people happens all the time. Support for even up to four is common in console hardware. Here we have a rare type of person who never experienced(apple TM) multiplayer consoles. Serious it is handy. And schools/organizations with a lot of users who only need a little calculation power could get a lot of benefit out of it.
      If the poster is just ignorant and not a troll, then they clearly don't understand that two non-simultaneous users still need their own individual accounts.
      And they also don't understand how mobile single-user operating systems like Android segregate applications from each other.

Nope, things go slower obsolete. I still use CD/DVD's for stuff. And just throwing it all away right now is way too soon. Blu-Ray has a long time to go anyway.
      In order to call something "obsolete", it really is necessary to find something to replace it that does the job better.
      Of course, removing support for optical media would necessarily also remove support for magnetic and flash media as well, since it all interfaces in the same way. Good luck getting your tablet to boot up without SOME kind of media being supported.

Comment

linux has been made from the ground up for multi-user

i had ethernet cables(cat5, the cheap un-shielded ones) for over 100m
        wireless will have dropped packages with more connections and use more power then ethernet while being slower
        wireless also means freedom, freedom to watch youtube on the toilet (its important)

tablets and such are the future, even thou i dont like them more then desktops
        they are better and more practical at many things (ex. for artists, true color and touchscreen)

sarcasm causes good things often, like questioning value and truth of things
        althou that LKML poster needs stile 'cuz sarcasm + lite insults often cause malice that causes blindness

still points for fun, nothing should be taken too seriously all the time

PS consoles dont rly need multi-user, they only need multi-input (only one game running at a given time; note idk console internals, they could be made multi-user for what its worth)
        Last edited by gens; 10 September 2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Hmm, are we all so sure that it was intentional trolling and not just a very stupid or ignorant person?
          It was definitely the former. Everything the poster said was true, or rather will be true within this decade. It was written in a provocative manner as a deprecation list instead of a forward-looking technologist's statement.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
            It was definitely the former. Everything the poster said was true, or rather will be true within this decade. It was written in a provocative manner as a deprecation list instead of a forward-looking technologist's statement.

F
            multi monitor/user support will probably be used a lot (central monster computer in the house wall and terminals everywhere)

still no1 can predict the future, imagination is unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
              multi monitor/user support will probably be used a lot (central monster computer in the house wall and terminals everywhere)
              While I do not believe that there will be a complete return to mainframe style computing, I believe that you are correct in that a remote unit (cloud, server, etc) will begin taking on additional workloads and thin-clients will handle the pushing of pixels to the screen. Display devices are at a point where they are beginning to ship with enough logic to playback workloads which are rendered by the server. IE: An LCD with a Raspberry Pi built into it and a rudimentary OS (linux/wayland) plays back a video game that is rendered on the server and handles an input device (Nvidia is already doing this).

Prior to seeing a new display paradigm, we'll probably see the refinement and integration of current tech in a meaningful way. Head tracking, passive 3D, eye tracking, high PPI, GZO-ambient-lit, amorphus-surface tech, negative refraction adapted to anti-glare/reflection, etc.

Ultimately, we will likely do away with display devices entirely and emit images directly to the retina or optic nerve.

A lot is going to change in the next 20 years, and in an extremely drastic and disruptive manner. The LKML post was a cheeky attempt at saying we should do away with clocks because we'll soon have time travel.

F

Comment

actually what i do believe is very possible to happen in the next 20-50 years is optical(quantum based) computing
                small chips that eat any data you trow at them and want more
                thing is then linux would probably be obsolete

and on the nvidia(i think amd brought it up first) thing;
                X network transparency?
                the thing people said wayland dosent need, that its obsolete

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                  actually what i do believe is very possible to happen in the next 20-50 years is optical(quantum based) computing
                  small chips that eat any data you trow at them and want more
                  thing is then linux would probably be obsolete

and on the nvidia(i think amd brought it up first) thing;
                  X network transparency?
                  the thing people said wayland dosent need, that its obsolete
                  Right. So you have here a rock.........and here a rocket.
                  You offer to throw away anything in-between.
                  How do you plan to transition?
                  Using a troll-face?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Right. So you have here a rock.........and here a rocket.
                    You offer to throw away anything in-between.
                    How do you plan to transition?
                    Using a troll-face?
                    i never said anything like that
                    what i did say was something like;
                    "if you hold your nose up too high, you'l miss whats in front of you"

sarcastic view on things is easily confused with trolling
                    pointing out things in that manner needs stile and knowledge thou

this LKML post is obvious trolling, but its fun
                    Last edited by gens; 10 September 2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

To Droidhacker

[QUOTE=droidhacker;285771]More range than wifi?
                      Seriously? You think so?

One of my places is connected to the rest of the world only by wifi link. That link spans a distance of 25 km.
                      Yeah, 25 THOUSAND meters. 16 miles.

Wow!, I know there is a lot of troll out there, but you are not only trolling but you are also ignorant! You should have a better understanding of the technology before posting such nonsense. You cannot even see the difference between WIFI (802.11) and WiMax(802.16)!!! For you education and because I am a good guy, please read this : http://mail.baskent.edu.tr/~20394676...ifiVSwimax.pdf

WiMax is closer to 3G/LTS by using only a different microwave that 3G/LTS. This is nothing to do with Wifi. Stop trolling and educate yourself before posting such nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                      X