Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazies: Linux w/o Ethernet, Multi-Monitor, Multi-User

Phoronix: Crazies: Linux w/o Ethernet, Multi-Monitor, Multi-User

It seems the crazies are back to invading the Linux kernel mailing list and/or have expanded their trolling cult. After it was proposed in August that Linux doesn't need x86-32 support and Linux doesn't need keyboard support, the latest proposal is to drop support for Ethernet, multi-monitor, multiple user accounts, and no more optical drive support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously why do you report these? Way to encourage vandalism...

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      +1
      These people are just waiting to get their posts on Phoronix.
      ...successful troll is... successful?

Comment

I thought it was funny. Sometimes, fun is OK.

Comment

Because they get pageviews on Phoronix and pageviews is what pays his salary.

Comment

Originally posted by mybug View Post
            +1
            These people are just waiting to get their posts on Phoronix.
            ...successful troll is... successful?
            If they're simply wanting to get their posts on Phoronix, I do happily accept freelance articles... Would save me from busting my ass all day constantly, but regardless, it's nice and good for you having a laugh once in a while.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am pretty sure Richard Stallman is behind this

Comment

Screw computers. I'm using my quantum calculator for playing Battlefield 3. Let's just drop the support for computers completly! xD

Comment

Yes 10 years ago the world was much simpler place, RAM was expensive, phones ware good enough but now all is missing Wifi antenna in peoples ass, that will make them happy.

Comment

I admit that it's been quite a while since I had to burn a CD or DVD. Netbooting with PXE/TFTP/NFS eliminated most of the need for me. I've actually been shredding many old discs in preparation for recycling. I don't doubt that optical drive support will be dropped eventually but now is not the time. Anything that isn't popular enough to attract developers to maintain it gets removed from the kernel.

Multi-monitor support is critical for desktops with current hardware designs. But I can see how new designs could make it obsolete. PC-equivalent systems consisting of a display with an intergrated multi-core processor and storage already exist (some thin-clients and HDTVs also qualify). Some software like game engines support combining multiple PCs and their displays into a single viewing experience, each with a different field-of-view. Distributed processing across a network is old technology. Combine all three and you have the equivalent to a multi-monitor desktop system but each component is a self-contained single-display and processor unit. Have enough displays but need more CPU? Just plug in another black box into your network or distribute the load to a cloud service and "poof", you have it. The same for storage.

It's interesting that Bill Gates ridiculed the OLPC project and proposed an alternative centered around a cell phone. Now cell phones have achieved the capability except M$ isn't really part of it.

Wired networking isn't disappearing anytime soon simply because of wireless bandwidth limitations and latency. Maybe ultra-wideband will change that someday.

Comment

Working...
                    X