Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Ubuntu and Unity aren't the same thing.
    What are the other official desktops of Ubuntu?
    I know kubuntu was community, and I thought lubuntu and xubuntu were as well.
    It certainly seems like Ubuntu is trying to make itself synonymous with Unity.

BTW, does it seem strange that kwin is faster than lubuntu? I don't recall the Wm they use but I'm fairly certain that it doesn't support composition.
    Similarly, it looks as if mutter isnt always correctly detecting fullscreen windows and then unredirecting.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      What are the other official desktops of Ubuntu?
      I know kubuntu was community, and I thought lubuntu and xubuntu were as well.
      It certainly seems like Ubuntu is trying to make itself synonymous with Unity.

BTW, does it seem strange that kwin is faster than lubuntu? I don't recall the Wm they use but I'm fairly certain that it doesn't support composition.
      Similarly, it looks as if mutter isnt always correctly detecting fullscreen windows and then unredirecting.
      The only official desktop is Unity. But Ubuntu is not just the desktop. A slow boot time might be caused by a lot of things. Is the desktop usually the most relevant (individual) component, in terms of boot time? Likely, yes. But not the only one. I recall after upgrading to 12.04 I had a boot time larger than 1 minute, IIRC it was about 3 minutes, but it was due to a change in the interfaces defaults, nothing related to the desktop.

Yes, it seems strange to me the fact you point out. They use Openbox by default, and it doesn't support composition in any stable releases yet. There was some work in git in a GSoC, but I don't know how far it got. I believe it's merged to trunk. I think there might be place for optimizations there.
      EDIT: WHOOPS, it seems I misrecalled about Openbox, the one which received work for compositing was Fluxbox. It is Openbox the LXDE's default, though, and it doesn't support compositing.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Ok, that somewhat resembles double buffering (except that this time it's per window). But if the WM only has to draw one "window" and then copy it to screen, is that enough to explain the rather sizeable gap in Michael's graphs?
      There are a lot more operations going through with effects. As a start, something KWin did yesterday or so, making the translucency effect operate only on window movement might not be done in some of the other compositors, and thus wasting a lot more cycles with compositing on, and similar might happen with overlapped windows.
      Also, even when it's not copyed to screen, I'm ALMOST sure the content of the windows gets updated while compositing is on, even when not showing, inside its buffers. So, even when overlapped by another window, it takes cycles.

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Um, maybe this is naive but why wouldnt it always un-redirect when offscreen FB=screen size?
      Then a really big window, which might be partially off the screen and still be a window, would always turn your compositing off.

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
      I don't know if there were previous benchmarks with fullscreen effect suspend both on and off(I don't remember any), but as far as I know compositing is normal to affect performance since it requires extra work from the hardware(actually I think there's comments about this and how it works in this thread here too ..!).
      Yes, it's being discussed
      Last edited by mrugiero; 07 September 2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
        I don't know if there were previous benchmarks with fullscreen effect suspend both on and off(I don't remember any), but as far as I know compositing is normal to affect performance since it requires extra work from the hardware(actually I think there's comments about this and how it works in this thread here too ..!).
        It does affect performance, but not with every driver. I'm running fglrx and there's no difference. With Open Source drivers and nVidia binary driver you should see a noticeable slow down with compositions being enabled. Some Phoronix benchmarks are so moronic, because they don't really benchmark driver speed (the best examples are Linux vs OS X and Intel hardware). I bet Kubuntu with suspended compositions turned on will simply kill crAppple OS.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          It can explain some of it, but not all of it. There's also the (hopefully just CPU) overhead of the compositing manager itself.
          Shouldn't Kwin determine what is has to work on as soon as possible, in order to avoid doing unnecessary work, thus keeping the CPU overhead at a minimum?
          I'm thinking of something resembling the z-buffer functionality: check early what you have to do and what you don't.
          I don't know, maybe it's just me, but having to suspend compositing instead of the compositor being able to tell it doesn't have much to do in the first place seems to point at some implementation issues. And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, it's quite possible developers just didn't have the time to overhaul/tune that area yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            It does affect performance, but not with every driver. I'm running fglrx and there's no difference. With Open Source drivers and nVidia binary driver you should see a noticeable slow down with compositions being enabled. Some Phoronix benchmarks are so moronic, because they don't really benchmark driver speed (the best examples are Linux vs OS X and Intel hardware). I bet Kubuntu with suspended compositions turned on will simply kill crAppple OS.
            Maybe in discrete cards the difference is just more negligible due to their higher "horse power", but from what I read in this thread previously I understand that composition puts a bit more hardware(gpu and cpu) overhead. On a discrete card(like mine) I wouldn't expect such a significant difference though, as the one shown here.

Or it is the driver failing when there's no composition so you don't get the gain(with composition turned off) instead of not getting the slow down(with composition turned on) actually.

Regarding the last one, I recall some benchmarks showing Ubuntu faster than OS X with NVIDIA hardware (if I recall correctly). And it was probably with compiz(and Unity? don't remeber ..).

Comment

an aswer from kde developer:

It’s benchmark season again and as I have raised some concerns about the results of the published benchmark, I was asked to properly explain my concerns without making it look like a rant. So…

Comment

Please test Pantheon Shell and Cinnamon

I like to see results with these two youngest WM

Comment

Originally posted by gcala View Post
                  Sane remarks, but his points are valid for most benchmarks. Rarely will you see a piece of software benchmarked across several operating systems, CPU, etc. You can't realistically vary every single factor, so reviewers usually pick a few that (in their eyes) are the most important. Yet people will either generalize those results if they are inline with their views or dismiss the results as flawed if they contradict the same views.

Comment

Hey Michael heres idea for your next article

“Look, someone else says my benchmarks are wrongly made”.
                    Source:
                    It’s benchmark season again and as I have raised some concerns about the results of the published benchmark, I was asked to properly explain my concerns without making it look like a rant. So…

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                      Hey Michael heres idea for your next article

“Look, someone else says my benchmarks are wrongly made”.

Source:
                      http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...ce-benchmarks/
                      lol, shitstorm incoming

Comment

Working...
                      X