Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: Ubuntu Unity Proves Very Slow To KDE, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Wonder how a stand-alone Openbox or Awesome WM Setup would compete.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    I wonder why the full screen tweaks actually works. Since there is no more desktop to render, hence nothing to decorate, reason says there should be no performance penalty in the first place.
    Normally, a window writes into an offscreen framebuffer of the size of the window, which is later copied onto the screen at the position of the window. If the compositor can properly detect a fullscreen window, it can skip the copying and render to the screen directly. It's only the copying that makes the difference.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    KDE works flawless with Dual-Monitor: my System http://www.sysprofile.de/id123113.
    Sorry, I should have verbalized my question properly.
    What I actually wanted to know is if KDE can suspend desktop effects for better performance, how does it look like if you have a game like HoN running in fullscreen on the primary monitor while the secondary monitor handles the desktop? Does it still suspends desktop effects and how does using the desktop on the secondary monitor feels like?

    Thank you for an answer nevertheless.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kakarott View Post
    Wasn't L4D2 faster on Ubuntu than on Windows?
    Didn't that Ubuntu use Unity? [http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux.../#comment-4328]

    Just imagine a "KDE SC 4.9 - Suspended" so much more frames per second
    last time i got a talk with a valve guy they was not working with unity but gnome 2.3x on ubuntu 10.10 xD

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    KDE works flawless with Dual-Monitor: my System http://www.sysprofile.de/id123113.
    He didn't talk about KDE itself not working with dual head, but the suspend feature. And I believe it's pretty obvious what he means. If you use dual head, use a fullscreen window in one screen. Then, if you choose to suspend effects when fullscreen, you have the other head without visual effects as well, giving you a less appealing desktop. If you choose to not suspend, well, you get the Unity-like performance in the fullscreen app. Beats me what should happen if using two fullscreen apps, one in each screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmoez View Post
    should valve work with unity/compiz-team to help them improving the perfermance of unity/compiz?
    that will affect so much their gaming experience on linux/ubuntu
    Why should they? Be happy they support the OS, I don't think they help Microsoft improving Aero.

    Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    I wonder why the full screen tweaks actually works. Since there is no more desktop to render, hence nothing to decorate, reason says there should be no performance penalty in the first place.
    Because of how compositing works. When using a compositor, you use a buffer for every window, and usually update the content of them all (I'm not completely sure of how this is done, though). This is actually needed for most of the effects, since some of them interacts with the window behind (translucency and shadows, for example). This means you work with the windows which are not being displayed too, so no desktop to render becomes false.

    Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    Normally, a window writes into an offscreen framebuffer of the size of the window, which is later copied onto the screen at the position of the window. If the compositor can properly detect a fullscreen window, it can skip the copying and render to the screen directly. It's only the copying that makes the difference.
    I assume you know more than I know, since I'm just an amateur reader. Doesn't it use a painter's algorithm? Doesn't the fullscreen mode also allow you to avoid that too?

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kakarott View Post
    Wasn't L4D2 faster on Ubuntu than on Windows?
    Didn't that Ubuntu use Unity? [http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux.../#comment-4328]

    Just imagine a "KDE SC 4.9 - Suspended" so much more frames per second
    Exactly. I'd love to see benchmarks with KDE compared to OS X and Windows.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    If you use dual head, use a fullscreen window in one screen. Then, if you choose to suspend effects when fullscreen, you have the other head without visual effects as well, giving you a less appealing desktop. If you choose to not suspend, well, you get the Unity-like performance in the fullscreen app. Beats me what should happen if using two fullscreen apps, one in each screen.
    That's not how it works. Only the full screen window and windows beneath it lose the composition and it doesn't seem to affect the other screen at all. I'm doing that all the time because the only way I can get tear free video on my external monior is by using MPlayer without compositing with VDPAU output . I'm not sure how it affects performance though.
    Last edited by Teho; 09-07-2012 at 02:21 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    That's not how it works. Only the full screen window and windows beneath it lose the composition and it doesn't seem to affect the other screen at all. I'm doing that all the time because the only way I can get tear free video on my external monior is by using MPlayer without compositing with VDPAU output . I'm not sure how it affects performance though.
    Well, then, that's what the guy (and I) wanted to know. Do you happen to know how is it done?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,514

    Default

    I love the screencap of the new Ubuntu login session scrolling right off the screen. I'm serious when I say: I don't think they test this stuff.

    So can we conclude that Cinnamon would be similar to GNOME Shell in terms of performance?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    Well, then, that's what the guy (and I) wanted to know. Do you happen to know how is it done?
    Nope. I guess you could ask "mgraesslin" who is the lead developer of KWin and made a post in the "KDE's KWin To Receive Performance Improvements" topic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •