No announcement yet.

HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have asked about options for the short term and will post back if anything good turns up.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I have asked about options for the short term and will post back if anything good turns up.
      Thank you very much. I'm waiting patiently for Linux driver to improve.
      Just don't let me hold my breath too long

Comment

Yes, I'm very impatient also!

I bought a HD 2400 Pro (just to view movies in HD) this week after seeing that the driver was online, too bad I didn't know it was the PCI-E version that worked and *not* the AGP one...

Keep us posted, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by N-0-X View Post
          Yes, I'm very impatient also!

I bought a HD 2400 Pro (just to view movies in HD) this week after seeing that the driver was online, too bad I didn't know it was the PCI-E version that worked and *not* the AGP one...

Keep us posted, thanks!
          I'm in the same as you, only that I bought it in last November.

Comment

We are all waiting for

Thanks in advance !

Comment

This is a known issue, and it is being worked on.

We pushed a Windows driver with HD2xxx AGP support out a week or two ago and at first glance it seems to be working for users who had been experiencing problems. On the Linux side, we are going to update the release notes in the next driver to make it clear that AGP support for HD2xxx parts is not yet there, so you will be able to see when support arrives.
              Thanks for keeping us abreast of developments, bridgman!
              You're doing your employer a great service with this, too bad it can't be put into $$$$ value easily.

Regarding the Windows AGP HD2xxx driver, AFAIK there never was an issue like the one we're seeing with Linux fglrx now,
              I could get 7-10, 7-11 and 7-12 working with Windows by force-installing them, it's just that an INF file in the installer did not include all chipset IDs so that when setup.exe was launched, it wouldn't recognise a supported (or at least working chipset) card in the system.

Sapphire had/has a knowledge base articel on their website on how to modify that INF and H.I.S. has a self-modified version of the Catalyst 7-10 bundle on their website that I suspect will work with all HD2xxx AGP cards.

If I'm correct then the update to the 8-1 driver for AGP was a DirectX fix on an issue that got introduced with the ordinary Catalyst 8-1 release?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would be positively surprised if looking into the Windows situation would provide much help for the Linux fglrx issues with the HD2xxx card.

Despite (relatively minor) installation issues the Windows XP drivers have been working with these cards pretty okay all the time since their release in September, at least as far as Catalyst 7-x (x=9 to 12) are concerned.

Comment

It's not that simple, unfortunately. It wasn't a DirectX bug, despite the fact that patching in an older DX binary helped. There was a chipset-specific aspect as well, so different users had wildly different perceptions of how well the drivers worked.
                Test signature

Comment

Thanks for these couple clarifications.
                  About the Linux fglrx driver, is there any way to make the hardware HD decoder work with the current driver, by tweaking a couple options (maybe GLX isn't even necessary)? That would already be a huge advancement.

Comment

Quick answer is no. Improvements in rendering (the back-end part, TexturedVideo etc.) can come in a bit at a time, but adding HD decode support requires a big chunk of new code.
                    Test signature

Comment

Okay, thanks, but that mean the feature will not be available anytime soon, right? And also, if I understand correctly, even if the current fglrx driver was working, it would not support HD decode, correct? Does the windows driver support it?

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...
                      X