HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phoenix12345 View Post
    Well i guess bad habits never go away(like testing a card with glxgears), but what "modern" benchmark(on linux) should i try to test my video card?
    Every time I ask that I get pointed to glxgears then get a lecture on how it's not a real benchmark.

I suspect this is why people still use glxgears
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by Rexam View Post
      I can't find any strange things in logs, is there anyway to debug this to get some clue what to do about it?
      This probably isn't it, but I think the logs should tell you whether you are running textured video or video overlay. It's supposed to default to TexturedVideo on an HD2xxx card but that would be a good first thing to check.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        This probably isn't it, but I think the logs should tell you whether you are running textured video or video overlay. It's supposed to default to TexturedVideo on an HD2xxx card but that would be a good first thing to check.
        It goes for Textured Video, so that isn't the problem.

Code:
        (II) fglrx(0): Using adapter: 1:0.0.
        (II) fglrx(0): [FB] Find the MC FB aperturs range(MCFBBase = 0xf0000000, MCFBSiz
        e = 0x10000000)
        (--) fglrx(0): VideoRAM: 262144 kByte, Type: DDR2
        (II) fglrx(0): AGP card detected
        (**) fglrx(0): Forced into PCI mode
        (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
        This is bit strange? even if i do Option "BusType" "AGP"

Code:
        (II) Reloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
        (==) fglrx(0): Capabilities: 0x00000000
        (==) fglrx(0): CapabilitiesEx: 0x00000000
        (==) fglrx(0): cpuFlags: 0x8000001d
        (==) fglrx(0): OpenGL ClientDriverName: "fglrx_dri.so"
        (**) fglrx(0): ATI GART size: 255 MB
        (II) fglrx(0): [pcie] 261120 kB allocated
        (II) fglrx(0): [drm] DRM buffer queue setup: nbufs = 100 bufsize = 65536
        (==) fglrx(0): UseFastTLS=0
        (==) fglrx(0): BlockSignalsOnLock=1
        Here it says GART size 256 no matter what i declare in bios, but maybe not the same thing?
        also a [pcie] is a bit strange?

Comment

• By the way RadeonHD now supports DRI for R500 GPU's and R600 acceleration should be finished in a couple of months.

Comment

• radeonhd and R/RV5xx: 2D Isn't Enough

Originally posted by phoenix12345 View Post
            By the way RadeonHD now supports DRI for R500 GPU's and R600 acceleration should be finished in a couple of months.
            DRI support for R5xx-series GPUs seems to be both card and distribution-specific (not every R5xx/RV5xx-based card is supported by the open-source driver; while the radeonhd driver may support 2D on them all, all too many folks like me have been missing both drm and DRI, and you have to have drm support for DRI to work). Worse, more often than not, with chipsets such as my own RV535 (X1650 and derivatives), typically, Linux distributions install the "radeonhd" driver, which is admittedly fast in 2D (faster than the cross-ported FireGL-based Linux Catalysts) but absolutely lacking in 3D (I've never gotten drm, and thus DRI, working with any open-source ATI driver in either Ubuntu or openSuSE). So far, those that *have* gotten the 3D working with the open-source drivers have been using Debian-based distributions (especially Ubuntu) and have also built the drivers from source (naturally, using the "ati", not "radeonhd" driver). With openSuSE, as long as you have the kernel-source, building a custom RPM based on the ATI FireGL drivers is pretty darn simple (I even managed to build one for 11.0 RC1, and I hate building RPMs).

Comment

• I've installed Ubuntu Hardy and when i try to play Quake Wars the screen just start's blinking like hell. And i don't know why but it detects my card as having 128 MB instead of 512 MB. What should i do?

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix12345 View Post
                I've installed Ubuntu Hardy and when i try to play Quake Wars the screen just start's blinking like hell. And i don't know why but it detects my card as having 128 MB instead of 512 MB. What should i do?
                First off, what video card do you have? Have you installed any drivers for it, or just the fresh install? You probably will have to download and install a driver or wait for a driver that supports your card.

EDIT: Nevermind my post. Going back a page, I see we've been down what I said already. I think we still have to wait.

Comment

• Well anyway i got rid of ubuntu(too slow for me) and installed Mandriva 2008 Spring FREE, and i'm stuck to using the radeonhd driver since fglrx(8.493.1) has no 2D/3D acceleration on this distro(don't know why). fglrxinfo returns mesa. Is there anything i can do(except install another distro)?

Comment

• Sadly, at this point I doubt it. We have the same card, and oddly enough, I was going to install Mandriva once our card gets some support. The 2600 XT just doesn't seem to be supported yet. I'm hoping and praying for an 8.6 miracle, but I simply can't say anything about it. Waiting sucks.

Bridgman, if you're still reading this, I know you probably can't say anything, but do you know when the next driver release is going to be, and if the 2600 XT AGP will be supported?

Comment

• The drivers pretty much come out "once a month" although I don't know the exact date for the next one. We will sometimes decide to slip a week to pick up extra fixes so the Catalyst dates aren't cast in stone anyways -- the underlying release are but we don't always use the same release every month for Catalyst posting.

Let's separate out "card support" from "installing properly on distry XYZ" -- the two are pretty much totally orthogonal. The binaries don't care *much* about what distro they are installed on except to the extent that they hardcode file locations, and I think we always put distro-variable path-names in scripts.

I think the next release should pick up most of the remaining AGP cards and IIRC the 2600 XT was near the top of the list. It may work in 8.5 already -- what we're scheduling is the QA test and bug fix -- I don't know. There's always a chance it could fail testing and not be fixable in time, but if 2600 Pro passed then I expect XT shouldn't be much different.

I haven't looked at Mandriva specifically but a lot of the distros package up our binaries so that they *do* install properly on your specific distro; in some cases the distro packagers work in the git repository on Phoronix (which AFAIK we snapshot into each monthly release) so that package building from a downloaded fglrx works "the way they want"; I don't remember if Mandriva is one of those off the top of my head.

PGHammer, the radeonhd driver now has the dri support required to make use of the 3d driver (mesa, drm). There is an issue today that the 2d acceleration code can not use drm so you can't have 2d and 3d accel coexisting but that won't take long to finish.

re: device IDs in the 3d code, they tend to get added as users :

- download the source; build the driver
                      - curse and realize their card is not supported
                      - add the IDs, rebuild, test
                      - submit bug reports or IRCs to developers
                      - bugs get fixed, IDs get added
                      - next user has a much easier time
                      Last edited by bridgman; 14 June 2008, 01:03 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X