Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radeonhd: 1
    fglrx: 0

No 3D, some glitches but at least it works. I used vesa at 1024x800 but now I can use 1680x1050 in my 21.6 inch monitor

Now waiting to play openarena in my Radeon HD2600 instead of using my Radeon 7000. With which driver will I get working sooner, or asked in another manner, will ATI/AMD fix the bug(s) fglrx have before the FLOSS community gets the 3D working in radeonhd? Will see...

Comment

• We are still working on 6xx AGP support. If anyone happens to get their system working before we finish that's great (please let us know, it might help other users) but even we are not expecting AGP to work today on HD2xxx/HD3xxx parts under Linux.

In the short term the open source drivers are probably the best bet. Wish I had better news, but the devs are working on it.
      Test signature

Comment

• Well it does work for the HD2600 pro AGP I can confirm.

But the driver performance is terrible for gaming even if Compiz with AIGLX work fine.

For the rest I just don't care anymore I'm getting rid of it and I'm going to buy myself a use NVIDIA 7800 GS!

Enough is enough
        Last edited by fred; 08 March 2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Maybe?

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          We are still working on 6xx AGP support. If anyone happens to get their system working before we finish that's great (please let us know, it might help other users) but even we are not expecting AGP to work today on HD2xxx/HD3xxx parts under Linux.

In the short term the open source drivers are probably the best bet. Wish I had better news, but the devs are working on it.
          I hope that to be soon and then i'll buy ATI AGP card, maybe even 3850 from Sapphire-seems to be good one. I'm waiting for now, month or two - no problem - if it works for users here, i'll buy it for sure I'm don't want to test propertary drivers - i'm expect from it simply and just to work fine.

Comment

• Hello,

just wanted to make a short report that 8.3 seems to be stable for me with following hardware:
            MOBO: Asus A8V Deluxe (VIA chipset, 1018 beta 001 bios, 128M AGP aperture)
            CPU: Athlon X2 3800+
            GPU: Asus HD2600Pro AGP 512M
            RAM: 3G

2D working, TexturedVideo working, 3D seems to be OK also.

dmesg, Xorg.log can be found here: http://vitalyb.mail333.com/ati/

Windows drivers also worked with patched .inf since 7.10 or so. Linux Catalyst could initialize hardware since 8.1, AFAIR, but where were hungs and crashes. I've changed OS since then so I don't know exactly if it's drivers fault.

The only thing that is not working correctly with 8.3 is MOBOs onboard ethernet card. I get
            Code:
            irq 17: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

Call Trace:
             <IRQ>  [<ffffffff8025bde3>] __report_bad_irq+0x30/0x72
             [<ffffffff8025c027>] note_interrupt+0x202/0x23f
             [<ffffffff8025c6e9>] handle_fasteoi_irq+0xaf/0xd8
             [<ffffffff8020e375>] do_IRQ+0x6c/0xd3
             [<ffffffff8020bb71>] ret_from_intr+0x0/0xa
             <EOI>
            handlers:
            [<ffffffff880302b3>] (skge_intr+0x0/0x3d9 [skge])
            Disabling IRQ #17
            as soon as X starts and NIC isn't working anymore.

If linux is booted with "noirqdebug" option both NIC and video seems working but glxgears runs slightly slower and NIC gets way too much interrupts (same link) - the reason why linux disables IRQ17.

Looks like 8.3 messes up interrupts somehow or my hardware is broken. NVidia, RadeonHD, Windows are all OK with it, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              We are still working on 6xx AGP support. If anyone happens to get their system working before we finish that's great (please let us know, it might help other users) but even we are not expecting AGP to work today on HD2xxx/HD3xxx parts under Linux.

Thanks for keeping us updated bridgman. As far as I'm concerned it's keeping me 'on board'.
              It truly helps, in my view, that you're being responsive to the AGP users needs, even if that promised fix is only in the stage of being worked on.

If you guys over at AMD get this working properly, I might likely upgrade to a 3850 AGP later this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by vitalyb View Post
                Hello,

just wanted to make a short report that 8.3 seems to be stable for me with following hardware:
                MOBO: Asus A8V Deluxe (VIA chipset, 1018 beta 001 bios, 128M AGP aperture)
                CPU: Athlon X2 3800+
                GPU: Asus HD2600Pro AGP 512M
                RAM: 3G

2D working, TexturedVideo working, 3D seems to be OK also.

dmesg, Xorg.log can be found here: http://vitalyb.mail333.com/ati/
                Would it be possible for you to post your xorg.conf also?
                I noticed something else:
                Code:
                (II) fglrx(0): [pcie] 258048 kB allocated
                It allocates only 256 MB of memory.
                I've been starting to suspect that only the 256 MB (allocated or physical) AGP RadeonHD2xxx cards work with the current fglrx driver .... a working 512MB card would remove that suspicion, but unfortunately I found that line

Comment

• The tricky thing is that the chips allow a maxumum of 256K of video RAM to be directly mapped into the CPU address space. The registers which do the mapping are traditionally called "BARs" (Base Address Register, or Base/Aperture, or something like that) so *some* of the allocation messages are going to cap out at 256M no matter how much VRAM you have.

This normally doesn't matter, since the whole idea is that you want the GPU drawing into video memory, not the CPU
                  Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by Swoopy
                    Would it be possible for you to post your xorg.conf also?
                    Sure, same link. But there's nothing special.

I've uploaded lspci and glxinfo outputs also.

Originally posted by Swoopy
                    It allocates only 256 MB of memory.
                    I've been starting to suspect that only the 256 MB (allocated or physical) AGP RadeonHD2xxx cards work with the current fglrx driver .... a working 512MB card would remove that suspicion, but unfortunately I found that line
                    radeonhd driver displays alike "warning" message. Looks like there's no way for CPU to see more than 256M per PCI device (at least on PCI+AGP VIA chipsets?).

BTW, for 8.1 driver, if AGP Aperture was set to 256M (maximum available size), GPU couldn't even initialize - black screen all I got. I'm on 128M since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by vitalyb View Post
                      Sure, same link. But there's nothing special.

I've uploaded lspci and glxinfo outputs also.

radeonhd driver displays alike "warning" message. Looks like there's no way for CPU to see more than 256M per PCI device (at least on PCI+AGP VIA chipsets?).
                      Not so.
                      Here is the corresponding line from my Xorg.0.log, mere moments before the system is hung by the fglrx driver trying to load on my HD 2600 XT AGP with 512 MB DDR3, using a Via K8T800Pro chipset:

Code:
                      (II) fglrx(0): [pcie] 520192 kB allocated

[QUOTE=vitalyb;26847]
                      BTW, for 8.1 driver, if AGP Aperture was set to 256M (maximum available size), GPU couldn't even initialize - black screen all I got. I'm on 128M since then.[/QUOTE}

I've had similar problems on 7-11 which at least gave me partial graphic activity before it hung. For me it was 256MB aperture or higher that was needed to get the graphics before the hang (including the rotating mouse cursor and all),
                      at 128MB or below the system would hang with a black screen like it does for me all the time with the 8-3 Catalyst.
                      I've tried almost all Aperture options with all Catalyst fglrx-en since 7-10 (equivalent) until I gave up at 8-2.

Now I'll await the official "AGP works now" declaration by the AMD/ATI developers before frustrating myself further

-edit- Thanks for the xorg.conf, vitalyb.
                      There's some stuff in there that I didn't know was possible to do.
                      What made you add the following bit?:
                      Code:
                      	SubSection "extmod"
                      		Option	    "omit XFree86-DGA"
                      	EndSubSection
                      EndSection
                      Last edited by Swoopy; 09 March 2008, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X