HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tufan1 View Post
    Because of the low fps and crashes in 3d games,i was looking if there's a problem about card detection and searching other ways to try.
    Which games crash/run slow, do you run compiz?

i was trying to make it work with internal agp,and the command:
    Don't know what you mean is this a normal desktop mobo with an agp card?

Xorg -scanpci returned this to stderr:
    I have the same mobo chipset and see the same as you

(2:0:0) unknown card (0x1002/0x0028) using an unknown chip (DeviceId 0x9587) from ATI Technologies Inc
    Is your card and the the BusID is 2:0:0 - but I don't think it will make any difference whether you specify or not.

When I had a X1600pro I had to set the AGP Aperture size in the BIOS to 512 to get it to work properly. Speed was set to auto and fglrx gave me 8x.
    Now I have a HD3850 and it works whatever aperture is - I would try 512 aperture just in case it helps.

and ati control center shows the card as pci-e and the speed 4x(my agp supports 8x):

why does it show like that?
    That's strange, I wonder if it would say the same if the language settings were english (I recall another post where language was mentioned as a possible reason for wrong memory being displayed).

Have a look at dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if they say anything about speed (it is normal to see pcie mentioned in the log).

Comment

• i only tried with armagetronad as game and it crashed.with 8.6 drivers it only returns to desktop and when it's icon on taskbar clicked it returns to game again and continue where it was before.2 second crash i think it reboots the gp card or something like that.but with 8.7 when it crashes,the screen becomes a garbage like the picture others posted above(lcd).

i tried lots of aperture sizes.i don't know it's an issue really about just that.in windows the best working ,and only working drivers i've found till now is 8.6 drivers from sapphire site(hotfix).it gives pretty much good fps.i can play most games(counter strike,armagetronad,prince the two thrones,double agent,vs ...) without crash and problem.but when i installed the newly released 8.7 it crashed again(reboot the machine).

8.6 works so good in spite of the aperture size set to 64M.i live no problem.(i don't like giving more aperture.my ram is total 1GB).

this is the output of cat Xorg.0.log|grep -i agp :

(--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP" (Chipset = 0x9587)
      (II) fglrx(0): AGP card detected
      (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f004219 bridge: 0x10de/0x01e0
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask 0x00000000
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f004319
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Remapping MC AGP space (new MCAGPBase = 0x3690987520)
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP protocol is enabled for graphics board. (cmd=0x1f004311)
      (II) fglrx(0): [agp] graphics chipset has AGP v3.0 (native mode)

Comment

i only tried with armagetronad as game and it crashed.with 8.6 drivers it only returns to desktop and when it's icon on taskbar clicked it returns to game again and continue where it was before.2 second crash i think it reboots the gp card or something like that.but with 8.7 when it crashes,the screen becomes a garbage like the picture others posted above(lcd).
        OK - I haven't tried that one yet.

i tried lots of aperture sizes.i don't know it's an issue really about just that.in windows the best working ,and only working drivers i've found till now is 8.6 drivers from sapphire site(hotfix).it gives pretty much good fps.i can play most games(counter strike,armagetronad,prince the two thrones,double agent,vs ...) without crash and problem.but when i installed the newly released 8.7 it crashed again(reboot the machine).

8.6 works so good in spite of the aperture size set to 64M.i live no problem.(i don't like giving more aperture.my ram is total 1GB).
        Maybe the aperture size thing only applied to the 1xxx cards - it doesn't actually eat more memory by setting it high.

this is the output of cat Xorg.0.log|grep -i agp

(II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f004219 bridge: 0x10de/0x01e0
        Well that's different to mine so maybe you have got 4x

dmesg | grep -i agp should say.

Comment

• output of dmesg|grep -i agp:

[ 19.776707] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.AGPB._PRT]
          [ 33.492713] Linux agpgart interface v0.102
          [ 33.672599] agpgart: Detected NVIDIA nForce2 chipset
          [ 33.677641] agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
          [ 54.431851] [fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState = 0x1f004219 (hardware caps of chipset)
          [ 54.432255] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
          [ 54.432431] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
          [ 54.432677] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:02:00.0 into 4x mode
          [ 54.432840] [fglrx] AGP enabled, AgpCommand = 0x1f004311 (selected caps)
          [ 54.433058] [fglrx] Setup AGP aperture

Comment

output of dmesg|grep -i agp:

[ 19.776707] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.AGPB._PRT]
            [ 33.492713] Linux agpgart interface v0.102
            [ 33.672599] agpgart: Detected NVIDIA nForce2 chipset
            [ 33.677641] agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
            [ 54.431851] [fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState = 0x1f004219 (hardware caps of chipset)
            [ 54.432255] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
            [ 54.432431] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
            [ 54.432677] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:02:00.0 into 4x mode
            [ 54.432840] [fglrx] AGP enabled, AgpCommand = 0x1f004311 (selected caps)
            [ 54.433058] [fglrx] Setup AGP aperture
            So amdcccle was telling the truth then.

I suppose if you really want to try 8x then you could set it in the bios - but personally I wouldn't bother.

You don't get any noticeable performance boost in games with 8x - the OSS drivers default to 4x (though they don't support 6xx cards yet anyway).

If glxinfo | grep direct says no then that will cause perfomance/stability problems for some games.

edit: I agree that on windows xp the 8.7 drivers are unstable. I thought they were OK at first but source/3d mark 06 BSOD for me.
            I had deleted the 8.6 hotfix drivers and when I tried to find them, neither sapphire or ati had archived agp hotfix - both just offered 8.7.
            I had to google a forum post and get them from a fileshare site!
            Last edited by legume; 04 August 2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• sapphire must have archived them.look more carefully.

Comment

• I decided to try the new ati driver(8.8) on Debian, but after a few X11 restarts the kernel module magically becomes "corrupt" and there's no acceleration, and if i reinstall the driver the acceleration works for the same amount of time. It's kind of annoying to reinstall the driver after a few restarts, is there anything i forgot to do?

NOTE: I use Debian Sid, HD 2600 XT 512 MB and i compiled the kernel module manually using the scripts in /lib/modules/fglrx.

Comment

• I know this is already to late for asking about problems but here's mine..

I've already tried everything... and my problem must be the most stupid of all.

i have a ASRock Motherboard P4i65G with 1,5 ram and the PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP...

and here is the stupid problem

I can run Far Cry 2 with no problems at all...all the setting are set to high... and the game is fine....

Now here's the thing....

When i play PES 2009 or Tomb Raider underworld... during gameplay the screen goes black and stays that way forever... I can hear the sound but the black screen don't change being my only option to reboot...

what the hell is appening?

Sorry for the bad English..

I've read somewhere that the problem is with ati2dvag.dll ... and something about a loop problem... that blue screen apear to me only once.. has for the other times only that black screen an nothing more..
                  Last edited by ruiXinho; 07 January 2009, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• ruiXinho, what you describe sounds like you either accidentally pressed alt-tab during gameplay, or
                    more possible, the ATI driver stack is going through one of those situations where the "ATI VPU Recover" needs to restart the driver. Sometimes if it manages, you can actually continue to play the game.

On my system, I could, and had to, raise the voltage for AGP (in BIOS) to as high as it could go, 1.65V (1.7V on the previous board) for 4x/8x AGP, to get my 2600 XT and now 3850 AGP, to stop crashing the driver.

Overclocking your system RAM just a little bit further than is actually possible can also make what I describe happen. The system seems fine when you boot it, but it is just "over the edge" which you notice from a crashing ATI driver if you put load on it.

Actually for my system it's the opposite: Tomb Raider Underworld runs just great, but Far Cry 2, especially the update 1.0.1 CPU-intensive benchmark, runs slow sometimes and cause VPU Recover crashes ..... funniest thing is that after VPU Recover does it's thing, the CPU-Intensive benchmark runs 1,5x faster!

Comment

• So what u are saying is that i've to wait when the black screen apears and wait for the game to reload again?...

I've went to bios to try that but i just don't know where to do it... i've noticed there is something about boot graphics PCI/AGP , AGP/PCI... and is set to PCI/AGP with 64MB..

are those 64MB i have to change?

thanks..

Comment

Working...
                      X