Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin To Receive Performance Improvements

Phoronix: KDE's KWin To Receive Performance Improvements

Next month's KDE SC 4.9.2 release will be slightly faster with the KWin compositing window manager while more performance optimizations for KWin will land in KDE SC 4.10 come late January of 2013...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that sounds promising

any numbers or experience with
    According to the callgrind logs after the change this improves the performance quite a lot.
    ?

thanks Martin Gr??lin !

Comment

Last time I've tried kde 4.9, kwin showed tearing in the upper portion of the screen, using nvidia proprietary, just like mutter or compiz.

Mutter and compiz fixed that, and I would like to see that fixed in Kwin, because it's a very good compositor, and the only one that shutsdown effects completely while running fullscreen apps.

Comment

In fact each call caused two dynamic casts to check whether it is a specific sub class...
        OOP: You're doing it wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
          OOP: You're doing it wrong!
          Well, they just did it right.

Comment

4.9 actually got worse for me when it comes to moving windows around. There's always a slight lag between where the mouse pointer is and where the drag point on the window is. It's a minor issue, to be sure, but annoying nonetheless. I hope it's fixed in 4.10. Maybe the translucency thing will take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
              4.9 actually got worse for me when it comes to moving windows around. There's always a slight lag between where the mouse pointer is and where the drag point on the window is. It's a minor issue, to be sure, but annoying nonetheless. I hope it's fixed in 4.10. Maybe the translucency thing will take care of it.
              fixed in 4.9.1, maybe you should update :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
                fixed in 4.9.1, maybe you should update :-)
                I actually did update last night, but I didn't restart KWin, and now I'm back on Windows. Next time I boot to Linux, I'll check it out. Fingers crossed that what you say is true!

Comment

I start to love the sound of the term "code cleanup".
                  Very good work. Should be done on all projects from time to time. I guess it is janitorish work that few people like to do, but this really helps to keep a project good and sane before it becomes a "large unmaintainable mess of bugs".
                  Thanks to Martin.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
                    I turn off translucency altogether, since I find the effect more distracting than helpful. The fact that it gives a performance boost is a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                    X