Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct3D In Gallium3D Suffers Bit-Rot, Now Disabled

Phoronix: Direct3D In Gallium3D Suffers Bit-Rot, Now Disabled

The Direct3D 10/11 state tracker for Mesa's Gallium3D has basically fallen into an unfortunate and unusable state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ya this code would have been meaningfull if someone was using gallium for a windows driver (as it was its intended purpouse when designed) but nobody ever implemented it as such. i would have though reactos would find much value in it, or maybe if intel would use gallium for their driver they could use it as their windows driver too and share codebase between the linux and wondows drivers (you know, like how amd catalyst and nvidia blobs do) but then, you would have a dx10-11 implementation, great, but nothing really requires that. most things require a dx9 driver though, and we dont have one of those for gallium.

the dx10-11 driver while im shure was capable of demo programs, could not posssibly be all that functional and capable, i mean, look at how slow mesa is to develop, how could tungsten just write up a full capable 3d api on the side that was competative.

Comment

[Seinfeld]That's a shame...[/Seinfeld]

There are more pressing issues for gallium3d, like getting intel onboard and getting the godd@mned (yeah, it really is) vdpau state tracker up to snuff, getting radeonsi done, various nouveau fixes, etc. You have to build the base of the pyramid first..

Comment

Yeah. Unfortunate, but not a surprise. I'd only seen a handful of commits to it over the last months. On the upside, a less politically charged modern graphics library to replace the crufty crap that is OpenGL actually is in the works.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          Yeah. Unfortunate, but not a surprise. I'd only seen a handful of commits to it over the last months. On the upside, a less politically charged modern graphics library to replace the crufty crap that is OpenGL actually is in the works.
          What is that?

Comment

Should you care about this Direct3D state tracker for Gallium3D (in hopes of restoring work on it), pass --enable-d3d1x when building Mesa.
            No, actually the commit disables this flag and basically hard codes it to disabled. If you wanted to work on the code, you'd revert the commit and then use the (again available) --enable-d3d1x flag.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
              What is that?
              That's called "elanthisSpeculationGL FX (TM)" v2.0

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                No, actually the commit disables this flag and basically hard codes it to disabled. If you wanted to work on the code, you'd revert the commit and then use the (again available) --enable-d3d1x flag.
                The programmer's way of saying... Buzz off, I know it's broken and I don't want your bug reports anymore... I'd think those bug reports would be valuable to somebody who would eventually start working on it, so I don't know what the big deal is about "tired of seeing bug reports" about it. They don't know how to use bug filters over there? IMO, every bug report is valuable and they should be kept / accepted until somebody gets around to working on it..

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                  The programmer's way of saying... Buzz off, I know it's broken and I don't want your bug reports anymore... I'd think those bug reports would be valuable to somebody who would eventually start working on it, so I don't know what the big deal is about "tired of seeing bug reports" about it. They don't know how to use bug filters over there? IMO, every bug report is valuable and they should be kept / accepted until somebody gets around to working on it..
                  So, you quote me but don't seem to realize that I'm the guy who disabled d3d1x. (I guess it would have been easier to know if my forum title said something about Intel.)

The point is that we shouldn't allow random users to try to compile known broken code. It doesn't do anything good. They may file bug reports about build breakages, but when it turns out that even with a successful build the code doesn't do anything useful then there's no point in fielding the bugs at all.

If you want to say that means "buzz off" I can't disagree. I don't want to see users waste their time building code that isn't used and is known to be broken.

Given your opinion, I presume that you don't realize that the last work to d3d1x was in October of 2011, and that the last work done on it by its original developer (who totally disappeared and doesn't respond to email) was in September 2010.

If you want to be the one to handle (and I mean fix) the d3d1x bug reports, be my guest. Until then, I'd personally appreciate the backseat driving to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    yay

If you need an logo or something i can help.

Comment

Working...
                    X