No announcement yet.

Valve's Steam Linux Beta About To Drop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New "TestApp" has been added to Steam Linux Beta.

Serious Sam 3 lists Linux as valid OS. More and more signs.
    Oktoberfest in 2 Days and michael said the beta might launch before that...

Comment

hm..according to the cdr entry it seems to be a source engine game.

Comment

Mid-October for L4D2 Beta: http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=8913

Comment

^this

so this post verifies that at the least there will be a beta mid October, would make a cool little Halloween surprise

1 more month to go
          my body cant hold the excitement in!

edit: little brother just broke my computers screen, got mad at tf2

Comment

So you've got some places saying Steam for Linux in Feb 2013, Phoronix who have said "beta by Ocktoberfest" (i.e. anytime now) with full push by Feb. Valve themselves who have now said Steam workshop in mid-Oct 2012.

The times for the beta generally seem to line up based on what we've seen on the CDR, and Phoronix also said a "Linux push by Feb" which is also what zdnet reported. The only outlier is basically the L4D2 steam workshop mention for Linux in mid-Oct... This doesn't exclude a beta earlier though, so based on that post you can guess by mid-Oct we should definitely have something.

All this said, Valve time basically makes it impossible to pin it down for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
              So you've got some places saying Steam for Linux in Feb 2013, Phoronix who have said "beta by Ocktoberfest" (i.e. anytime now) with full push by Feb. Valve themselves who have now said Steam workshop in mid-Oct 2012.

The times for the beta generally seem to line up based on what we've seen on the CDR, and Phoronix also said a "Linux push by Feb" which is also what zdnet reported. The only outlier is basically the L4D2 steam workshop mention for Linux in mid-Oct... This doesn't exclude a beta earlier though, so based on that post you can guess by mid-Oct we should definitely have something.

All this said, Valve time basically makes it impossible to pin it down for sure.
              You'd be better off taking valves word for it rather than phoronix or zdnet I'd guess. I suspect the beta (or even maybe the full release) is going to land sometime soon. The "full push" _may_ be refering to the client leaving beta, but it could also just be refering to the amount of games you're going to be seeing on the platform growing substantially. We don't really know the context of those comments.

Comment

Oct lines up with what I thought once this was confirmed and especially around the reason - vitriol thrown at Ms over win8

win8 is due to be released in oct

Comment

October appears official:

"Things have been going well. We will be having an internal beta starting next week, and a private external beta for 1,000 users sometime in October."

Comment

The software developers that created their Linux ports for the Humble Indie Bundle 6 have been pushing Valve to release Steam for Linux.
                    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...hlight/c6dtann

I have hope for an October release / alpha preview of Steam on Linux. /crosses fingers.

Comment

I'm pretty confident I can get whatever they release working on my gentoo box

Comment

Working...
                      X