Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson in dealing with MONO for ALL RPM-based linux distros;

"yum -y remove *mono*".

This single command is GUARANTEED to FULLY solve the mono problem.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

"yum -y remove *mono*".

Get over yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

"yum -y remove *mono*".

Bravo!

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        Get over yourself.
        Get up from under Microsoft.

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
        For fun I deployed one of my C# MVC3 web applications to Linux/Apache.

IT WORKED. IT WORKED WELL!

If mono can save me $$ in fees for running Win2k8 Server VMs for fairly small clients, I'll use it!
        this reminds me of pirated windows... oh wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          And who of these contributors are not paid by Xamarin? Personally, I find it more interesting to learn whether Mono is a community project or a corporate project whose source just ends up being released.
          A lot of contributors are not paid by Xamarin. Of course that the key developers are taken by Xamarin. Is in the project advantage. As key Gtk+ and Gnome developers are paid by RedHat and Novell.
          If you take Microsoft contributions, those were certainly not paid by Xamarin (like DLR, Entity Framework). Codice I know that was the main contributor for Windows.Forms (for a time). Google with Summer of Code projects added features to Mono too.
          Also there are a lot of small contributions by "non-corporate" people. I remember that were patches to optimize some string operations in Mono Devel mailing list. I tried myself to contribute a patch, but was from the C Mini runtime, and I'm not paid at all by any evil corporation (to add support for Just Too Late compilation, something I wasn't able to finish, so I gave up) and if was made, was somewhat similar with "Auto-NGEN" (albeit more limited) a feature of .Net 4.5
          And even all would be corporate paid, why would it matter?
          Mono is opensource, free by license, can and is used into games or as core scripting engine (like in Sims 3) or by Banshee or by Tomboy. It is the engine of all those magnificient software that happen into Linux world.
          To sum it up: like this contributor (that has the site: http://neteril.org/ ) that was later hired by Xamarin, there are a lot of 2-3 patches people. Of course they don't appear to be significant, as GCC doesn't appear to be significant either by free-thinkers of adding simple features. Big features in many many cases require corporate funding.
          @Awesomeness: do you know big contributions in LibreOffice that are done by a guy as you, who is not paid by anyone? And does make big big features? Like an OpenGL backend to make everything to run on GPU? Or to remove the depenency to Java by rewriting all parts into Python? Or into Linux kernel? Is not to say that LibreOffice is not a community project, but free is in freedom, but not necesarily in price: all things that require time need to be paid in a form or another: either by users, either by company that uses it, or by reporting bugs, or making small fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            Bravo!
            First of all: why the hate? Which is the "Mono problem"?
            And based on the "solution", of removing it, people that use Mono, have problems that are unsolved? Maybe it occupy disk drive (if this is the complain) but so it does the Qt in Unity, when it could simply be Gnome 3, but even Gnome 3 occupy more space than Gnome 1, and even Gnome 1 occupy more space than X, and X occupy more space than mc.
            Ah, but you use X because you want to run Firefox to write hate messages, and for this you use a Javascript virtual machine which even in best case is some times slower than Mono. Even with IonMonkey that it will appear at the start of the next year. You also need a fancy UI so you use composite desktop and if you will use KDE, you will likely have duplicate libraries in your system anyway (Qt for KDE or Unity, and GTK+ for Firefox and LibreOffice).
            Get up from under Microsoft.
            Why he's under Microsoft? Do you have any base of basing your assertions?
            this reminds me of pirated windows... oh wait!
            At the end Mono solves the moral dilemma that Stallman had with Unix when he made GNU: you need a free (as in freedom) software to solve your solution. As Unix was driven by evil corporations (as it was Sun, SGI, NeXT) and Microsoft could become the replacement because of lower costs (compared with the Unix platforms) that their software bring, in this very same way Mono is vital for a lot of software.
            The guy simply don't want to pirate Windows, he wants Mono, Apache and Linux. You cannot have freedom if you have the sofware but you don't have the ENTIRE stack to replace your software.
            And you crazycheese: are you using NVidia and x86 Intel lately, or AMD64? Why not talking about the freedom that is attacked by closed hardware? And you attack an open software!? Why not attacking .Net itself, and praise Mono as it give the freedom to do what you can with closed .Net? Wouldn't it make much more sense?

Comment

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
              @Awesomeness: do you know big contributions in LibreOffice that are done by a guy as you, who is not paid by anyone? And does make big big features? Like an OpenGL backend to make everything to run on GPU? Or to remove the depenency to Java by rewriting all parts into Python? Or into Linux kernel? Is not to say that LibreOffice is not a community project, but free is in freedom, but not necesarily in price: all things that require time need to be paid in a form or another: either by users, either by company that uses it, or by reporting bugs, or making small fixes.
              Considering that TDF regularly releases contributor statistics including affiliation for LibreOffice, I obviously know how much code is from community contributions.

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
              And even all would be corporate paid, why would it matter?
              It matters to me because I am interested in it ? you should have known that because I already wrote that I personally am interested in the size of the community. Get it? No, you probably don?t? If you did, you'd wouldn't have sidestepped the question, yet still feel the urge to answer me.
              If you don?t have stats on contributor affiliation, fine, but then simply don?t answer at all instead of throwing needless ?it doesn?t matter anyway?-like comments at me.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Considering that TDF regularly releases contributor statistics including affiliation for LibreOffice, I obviously know how much code is from community contributions.
                It matters to me because I am interested in it – you should have known that because I already wrote that I personally am interested in the size of the community. Get it? No, you probably don’t… If you did, you'd wouldn't have sidestepped the question, yet still feel the urge to answer me.
                If you don’t have stats on contributor affiliation, fine, but then simply don’t answer at all instead of throwing needless “it doesn’t matter anyway”-like comments at me.
                So for me the question of the size of community is tricky, because if you will use TDF (as it was some years ago a project of basically a codebase of two corporations Oracle and Novell), the main features are always in complex projects paid by corporations.
                Look to GCC, main developers are paid by Google, RedHat.
                My answer with contributors made it clear that as GCC was a multi-corporation main contributions, in the same way, companies that have interest in Mono contribute:
                - Xamarin, ex Ximian
                - Microsoft (via external libraries like IronPython, IronRuby, DLR, EntityFramework)
                - community: NUnit, VB.Net support was initially a community project, MonoDevelop (SharpDevelop based, which was a community project too), Sketic UI designer
                - corporations that were in need to support of a specific component: System.Windows.Forms based on contributions of Codice (as far as I know)
                - Novell (of course)
                - Google via Summer-Of-Code sessions
                - IKVM.NET is a community project to create a JVM with Mono and .Net. IKVM.Net reflection backend is used by Mono compiler to write correct MSIL.
                - small patches that are made by community (I didn't but not because I didn't want, or I wanted to be paid, but because I did not had the full skillset and time to sort it out, or motivation).
                The reason why it would not matter, is the benefit of the Linux community. Is like Flash on Linux (even I would think that Mono is way better on matter of freedom and openness): you could do more with it than without it. The same as with GCC: is similar codebase in size (Mono is 8.8 million lines, when GCC is "just" 7.3 million) and it supports a lot of things you may want to run programs on a lot of platforms. If you will look around, even are also not public statistics of how much Intel do contribute to GCC (even they also have their competing compiler, maybe they are writing "submarines", even I see no one complaining), or how many contribute a single 1 line patch either. I mean, yes, some did those statistics, and anyone can do it part of both GCC's git or Mono's Git.
                Legal note: I'm not affiliated with any of the companies said before. Also, the information is best of my understanding (maybe one company like Linden Labs had huge contributions I wasn't aware, and I'm aware of some)

Comment

Working...
                X