OpenSUSE 12.2 Released With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Additional fixes have already been ported to 4.8.x even after the 4.8.5 release. No software is dead that still receives fixes.
    Are you talking about commits that have "Script Kiddy" as author? Any commit to 4.8 branch by a real developer is a mistake as there is no 4.8.6 release planned. So get over it, 4.8 branch is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
      ...there is no 4.8.6 release planned. So get over it, 4.8 branch is...
      ...finished.

Linux users don't seem to be happy unless their software is in a perpetual alpha status.

Comment

Are you talking about commits that have "Script Kiddy" as author?
        No. Scripty / Script Kiddy does not run on older branches.

Any commit to 4.8 branch by a real developer is a mistake
        No.

as there is no 4.8.6 release planned.
        Irrelevant. 4.8.5 wasn't planned either. Usually distributions have a support life time of 18 months. Distributors pick bugfixes from the branch or commit them to the branch if they fix a bug themselves. The planned 4.8.5 update packages will also include the post-4.8.5 fixes.

So get over it, 4.8 branch is dead.
        No.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
          Yeah. Too dead or too unstable. Pick your poison Was openSUSE 12.2 worth the wait? I think not.
          I am not sure whether you just don't have any clue how distribution releases are done, or whether you will take any opportunity imaginable to flame anything remotely related to KDE or Qt even if you know the flame is baseless.

Let me lay it out for you. Releases have something called a "freeze". After that date, certain sorts of changes are not allowed except under very unusual circumstances. One of those freezes is for major versions of important software components. If an update comes out after that date, it doesn't get in. This is in order to allow the distribution developers and testers to make sure everything is working before the release and to prevent unexpected regressions.

Guess what: KDE SC 4.9.0 came out long after the openSUSE 12.2 freezes. Therefore, it didn't get in. That is not a bug, that is a feature. Distributions want to make sure software has had some time to be polished before they release it. This isn't just KDE, and it isn't just openSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
            Best installer of any OS in existence, YaST, all desktops supported, Open Build Service, one-click install, SUSE Studio, optional rolling Tumbleweed, most powerful modern package manager (zypper with SAT solver, zsync, etc.) plus the advantages of an intelligent forum, being a democracy, not being corporate-controlled, contributing upstream, giving back to the community, a leader in seeking cross-distro collaboration... it's not only a distro you can use feeling secure you've chosen the crown gem of Linux desktop distros, but you can also feel good about using it as well.

All the reasons why it is my distro of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              I am not sure whether you just don't have any clue how distribution releases are done, or whether you will take any opportunity imaginable to flame anything remotely related to KDE or Qt even if you know the flame is baseless.
              He's not trolling and it's not about Qt/KDE, it's a known problem of the 9 months release cycle OpenSuse is using: every second release will come out with an outdated KDE or Gnome, as both KDE and Gnome have 6 months release cycles. Some can live with this downside and some not.

Comment

it's a known problem of the 9 months release cycle OpenSuse is using:
                It's not a "problem". openSUSE does support upstream releases as well. It's the nature of the various projects that make up a distro's release cycles. If you were to wait on every upcoming release of a project that was in beta during development you would never have a released product. It is not like Gnome, the kernel, KDE, etc all release at the same time. If you want those items then you can also use Tumbleweed that provides the latest official releases of the projects as well as the project repositories. Ubuntu for example doesn't do any better nor does Fedora. Heck, if you wish you can even enable the upstream repositories during installation with openSUSE. Changing to a "release every xxx month" release cycle doesn't change anything. In fact shortening a release cycle just means having to support more releases at once and seeing all to often bugs filed and classified "to be fixed in next distro release".

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  It is not like Gnome, the kernel, KDE, etc all release at the same time.
                  Both KDE and Gnome have release schedules in sync with Ubuntu. Regular users don't see anything except for the DE so they rarely care if the kernel or the X server is not the latest.

If you want those items then you can also use Tumbleweed that provides the latest official releases of the projects as well as the project repositories.
                  Users of Tumbleweed probably don't care too much when a new relese comes out.

Ubuntu for example doesn't do any better nor does Fedora.
                  Like I said, both KDE and Gnome are synchronized to Ubuntu so when a new Ubuntu will come out it will always have both brand new KDE and Gnome. Though you are right that changing to a 6 months release cycle that is not in sync with Ubuntu would be worse then the current one.

Comment

Both KDE and Gnome have release schedules in sync with Ubuntu. Regular users don't see anything except for the DE so they rarely care if the kernel or the X server is not the latest.

Like I said, both KDE and Gnome are synchronized to Ubuntu so when a new Ubuntu will come out it will always have both brand new KDE and Gnome. Though you are right that changing to a 6 months release cycle that is not in sync with Ubuntu would be worse then the current one.

Completely wrong. Take a look at KDE's release schedule past and present. They do not coincide with April and October releases nor do they have set 6 month cycle plans.

I should also note that openSUSE did switch once to a 6 month plan. After seeing the instability it created with the OS the community overwhelmingly decided to go back to a longer release cycle. They preferred stability to cutting edge. Out of that two decisions were made. 1) to officially support optional upstream releases of desktops and 2) gave birth to tumbleweed for those who want the leading edge of the official releases of other packages such as the kernel.
                    Last edited by deanjo; 07 September 2012, 11:42 AM.

Comment

All the reasons why it is my distro of choice.
                      Same here!

On a side note, when I installed 12.2 I had to disable KMS because the installer would hard lock while booting. I want to say this has to do with nouveau, plymouth, and my 670gtx not playing well together. Other than that I did a minimal X install then added Kde 3.5 from the build service.

Happy Camper here <----

Comment

Working...
                      X