**Hardware update** dg33fb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Hardware update** dg33fb

Allright so yesterday I built a new system to add to my fleet, its baed on the intel dg33fb motherboard, I put 2 sticks of 2gb kingston ram for total of 4gb, a sata raptor 10k 150gb drive, a lite-on dvd/cd sata drive, the rest is all stock from the motherboard + a quad core 2.4ghz cpu.

When I tried to install debian etc or lenny they both failed at very early stages, hanging on some process without any success from google in resolving it.

Discouraged I then tried to install fc8, and to my surprise it installed all the way the first shot, no problems whatsoever.

I thought lenny and fc8 both had the same kernel version number? or maybe the installer in debian isnt compatible?

Just thougth I'd post this for anyone else thinking of buying this motherboard for debian. Its a great ssytem just doesnt work with stock debian etch/lenny.

Did you check for sane & healthy hardware and BIOS settings first?
    The memory test that's provided on most Linux distro DVDs comes to mind.

I wouldn't rag on a new motherboard in a newly built system until I was sure the hardware was okay, rather than blame some incompatibility between 2 Linux distros and a mainboard.

Comment

Try Kanotix Thorhammer RC7. You just need to install some updated packages to get rid of vesa. If you do, just click on the IRC button you find on the desktop and enter you nick. You will get all apps from Etch with it and lots of fresh backports.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Try Kanotix Thorhammer RC7. You just need to install some updated packages to get rid of vesa. If you do, just click on the IRC button you find on the desktop and enter you nick. You will get all apps from Etch with it and lots of fresh backports.
        Allright my dg33fb motherboard now works with debian etch. I downloaded a modifiied version that supports SATA dvd and the NIC on my motherboard. Only thing, I had to use VESA driver for X but thats okay.. here's the link for the download:

thanks!!

Comment

It seems you dont like Kanotix Well install all debs from:

And use intel instead of vesa in xorg.conf.

Comment

Working...
          X