Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 12.2 Readies For Release Tomorrow

Phoronix: openSUSE 12.2 Readies For Release Tomorrow

If all goes according to plan, openSUSE 12.2 will be released tomorrow after seeing a delay after being challenged by problems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tomorrow is Wednesday, not Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      Tomorrow is Wednesday, not Tuesday.
      That depends on where you live (tomorrow could be Thursday already ;-)). But yes, September 5 is a Wednesday.

Comment

First release for awhile that I've been genuinely excited about - although that's probably just the fancy Plymouth graphics talking...

Comment

wayland???

Comment

As sad as it is, I tried the RC for 12.2 and if you just click through the installation steps it wouldn't boot. It forgot to create a GRUB2 bootcode partition (EF02 for non EFI boards). I could work around by installing gptfdisk in the LiveCD and create the partitions myself, then use the existing partition table (which requires some tricking to not get the existing layout removed).
            Other than that, it has a very huge software repository and better than in Fedora its for all versions! So after upgrade you usually still have e.g. VirtualBox, NetBeans etc. if you enable non-oss or other software which actual is oss but people couldn't find a maintainer.
            With Fedora there is always the risk to lose some packages with an upgrade from e.g. 16 to 17 and hope the community comes up with a new version quickly.
            If you look for an easy desktop, it actual works to surf to a website with flash, firefox complains about missing plugins and you can click your way through like in Ubuntu.
            Last edited by disi; 05 September 2012, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I also tried the RC, but had no problems. That said, I have a separate /boot partition already, so perhaps that's why I didn't run into the issue.

Comment

Working...
              X