Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Razor-Qt Desktop Still Being Developed, v0.5 Is Near

Default Razor-Qt Desktop Still Being Developed, v0.5 Is Near

Phoronix: Razor-Qt Desktop Still Being Developed, v0.5 Is Near

While there hasn't been a new release since February, like the Trinity KDE 3.5 fork, the Razor-qt desktop environment continues to be actively developed. Razor-qt 0.5.0 will be released soon...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3NTQ

Wayland anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Wayland anyone?
    Razor-Qt doesn't provide its own window manager, so all that should be required for running under wayland is to compile against Qt 5.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBane View Post
    Razor-Qt doesn't provide its own window manager, so all that should be required for running under wayland is to compile against Qt 5.
    Isn't the API of qt 4.x different from that of qt 5.x? I'm pretty sure you can't just compile against qt 5 unless there's explicit support, I'm pretty disappointed I thought they'd support qt 5 in the 0.5.x branch.

meh

They could target wayland deployment, and be the first fully functional wayland DE. That is the way to gain popularity.

I think most of the conversion from Qt4 to Qt5 can be automated - the next bit would be then making it work well and using some of the newer features

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    Isn't the API of qt 4.x different from that of qt 5.x? I'm pretty sure you can't just compile against qt 5 unless there's explicit support, I'm pretty disappointed I thought they'd support qt 5 in the 0.5.x branch.

meh
    If things go according to plan then updating to Qt 5.0 can mostly be done with automation. I'm sure there will be some work left over to be done by hand but it shouldn't be enormously time consuming especially for a relatively small project such as razor-qt.

They could target wayland deployment, and be the first fully functional wayland DE. That is the way to gain popularity.
    Makes perfect sense and this combo would be quite light and FAST if built properly.

KWin will probably be the defualt window manager of Razor-Qt since their is a mailing post that says KWin could be Qt-based after KDE's Framwork 5 is released (since it would separate all of KDE into smaller packages). So, I doubt Qt-Razor would be Wayland complaint long berfore KDE 5!

Link (dated at February): https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...c/ddtz6ymaq8MJ

Quote Originally Posted by CTown View Post
    KWin will probably be the defualt window manager of Razor-Qt since their is a mailing post that says KWin could be Qt-based after KDE's Framwork 5 is released (since it would separate all of KDE into smaller packages). So, I doubt Qt-Razor would be Wayland complaint long berfore KDE 5!

Link (dated at February): https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...c/ddtz6ymaq8MJ
    Sorry, it seems like Qt-Razor is not interested in a default window manager. I'm still convinced if KWin drops many of its KDE dependencies (I believe its part of KDE-Workspace at the moment) it would be the most used window manager for Razor-Qt (if it already isn't).

Sorry to double post but I cannot edit my post anymore.