Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ARM Video Decoder Being Reverse-Engineered

Phoronix: Another ARM Video Decoder Being Reverse-Engineered

While the binary wall has yet to fall with ARM SoC vendors in terms of providing open-source drivers -- namely when it comes to the graphics / multimedia blocks -- there's many active community projects for reverse-engineering these ARM blocks to provide open-source support. Here's another project that's being done for cracking the video decoder on a popular Chinese ARM SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CedarX vpu doesn't decode only 1080p, it can decode Quad HD 2160p and encode 1080p at full rate in h264 high profile, this is also an interesting point for lot of developers around video solution.

Comment

Where can you ACTUALLY buy a device with this?

I've seen this chip/SoC show up nearly every time the Rasberry Pi is mentioned, but it never seems to be available or easily purchaseable. Does anyone have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
        I've seen this chip/SoC show up nearly every time the Rasberry Pi is mentioned, but it never seems to be available or easily purchaseable. Does anyone have a link?

DX has a ton of products using the A10. Tablets to usb-stick-form-factor.

Comment

It's a little shaming, or maybe a call to arms is required, that there's no mention of the AMLogic AML8726. This SoC actually has, unfortunately unlicensed atm, Open-source Video drivers, from what I was told.

for example. Everything is there I believe, including the, unfortunately binary only, firmware.

So at this time, the AMLogic, besides it's mali GPU, should be 'the' oss SoC!

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
            We're buying A10 tablets (Android 4.0) in bulk and selling them to our clients with our custom survey software installed (custom Android launcher).
            Example;

ignore where it says "1.5 GHz". Its some fair bit of "creative" mathematics that gets them to 1.5, including (but not limited to) adding the GPU frequency to the CPU frequency.
            Also ignore the manufacturer name and model number. That tablet's REAL name is "LY-F1", and there are community android builds available for it.

Edit: BTW: HDMI out (mini-HDMI plug) and USB host.
            Last edited by droidhacker; 05 September 2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Yes, I heared about manual upgrading of frequecy of tablet pc too, anyway it is wiser to go for reviewers such as below for it before buying and do not only look at the specifications. but Cheap tablet pc do saves money.

Comment

Working...
              X