Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracking Broadcom's VideoCore With An Open Driver

Phoronix: Cracking Broadcom's VideoCore With An Open Driver

Nearly two months ago I wrote that a major open-source ARM announcement was coming. "This forthcoming announcement, which isn't being detailed yet but will be yet another Linux graphics exclusive for Phoronix the near future, is something entirely different from the other recent open-source ARM Linux graphics advancements" So what's the announcement?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    It's fruity... It's almost like a pie. But it's an awful beer; I'm generally not a fan of Belgian Lambics.
    The taste of Lambic is very distinct, you either love it or hate it. You need to learn to appreciate it's taste.

Comment

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hope they can open up all the features of VideoCore processor. It would be a big boon to hobbyists using the Raspberry Pi, which is fully open (except for the Videocore).

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post
        The taste of Lambic is very distinct, you either love it or hate it. You need to learn to appreciate it's taste.
        Well, he did say he's specifically not fond of Belgian lambics. He's also not fond of American beers, although I'm not sure if he's tried any of the more expensive ones. The thing about beer is the water you use does make a significant difference, so if you don't like the water that a drink came from, chances are you won't like the drink either (compared to competitors). This was an issue to Coca Cola and as far as I'm aware, they only get their water from 1 location, to ensure that it tastes the same no matter where you are in the world - but maybe I'm thinking that they only get water from 1 location per continent.

Anyways back to the topic, great job to those who are making such success. Lets hope Broadcom doesn't freak out about this, but I'm sure they would have by now if they sincerely cared.

Comment

So somebody is working on VideoCore

So somebody is working on VideoCore. Huge news. We've known this from day -1. Even when we didn't *know*, we would have guessed.

I guess I was expecting too much when I hoped the "announcement" would come with some actual details.

Comment

I'm supprised they don't use the BCM 97012 (or whatever that number was, it was even int he article but i'm lazy looking it up). They have those cores, why not use them?

Anyway, it was indeed only a matter of time. Whether they crack the GPU however, is a whole another level. As that one is quite integrated into everything.

What I still don't get, is why Broadcom choose the Broadcom SoC. Alternatives probably didn't maybe exist back when they where designing the Pie (or where there?) But the AMLogic CPU sounds very promising (with, albeit unlicensed atm, have actually source code out in the open for their VPU) and even the Allwinnertech A10 sounds more feasible then this Broadcom, the Mali 300 GPU (which is being worked on) isn't required to use and boot the device. So booting an A10 or AMLogic based board, can boot and probably even use 2D stuff, without any blob or firmware installed. That's pretty important IMO.

But with one of the pie devs working for broadcom, it kinda explains a thing or two.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
              What I still don't get, is why Broadcom choose the Broadcom SoC.
              I think the answer is right there.

Comment

Of course I ment, 'rasberry pie' inc. But of course I was stating the obvious

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                  Of course I ment, 'rasberry pie' inc. But of course I was stating the obvious
                  Because most of the people working in the RasPi are employed by Broadcom (and specifically that chip). They also got a good quote on the price at low volumes.

Comment

Aww, could somebody do this kind of stuff for UVD?

But good job anyway since you really do need a video accel ASIC for these small ARM thingies.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X