Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linaro 12.08 ARM OMAP4 Performance

Phoronix: Linaro 12.08 ARM OMAP4 Performance

The Linaro organization offers monthly builds of Android and Ubuntu for their member SoC vendors, but are these Linaro-optimized Ubuntu builds any faster than the normal Ubuntu for ARM images? Here are some benchmarks of Linaro 12.08 compared to recent upstream Ubuntu Linux releases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gcc 4.7

Linaro 12.8 is using GCC4.6 . That automatically makes the comparison with ubuntu 12.10 null.

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
      Linaro 12.8 is using GCC4.6 . That automatically makes the comparison with ubuntu 12.10 null.
      Is it upstream 4.6 or linaro 4.6? That makes a difference, as linaro gcc has arm changes beyond what upstream gcc of the same version does.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Is it upstream 4.6 or linaro 4.6? That makes a difference, as linaro gcc has arm changes beyond what upstream gcc of the same version does.
        I always thought Linaro was using their own GCC with ARM enhancements (correct me if I'm wrong). So that would make these test results very relevant, even though we are comparing upstream GCC 4.7 to Linaro optimized GCC 4.6.

Comment

I have yet to see a benchmark where Linaro is actually significantly faster across the board. Installed a linaro kernel for my Galaxy Nexus once and could not measure any improvements either.

Comment

I learned very recently, that Linaro's goal is to 'collect and improve' arm for upstream.

As far as Ubuntu-arm is concern, I was also made to belive, that Linaro is basically responsible for the Ubuntu-arm images? So thus should perform identical

Comment

Working...
            X