Thread: The State Of Open-Source Radeon Driver Features

Hybrid View

Default The State Of Open-Source Radeon Driver Features

Phoronix: The State Of Open-Source Radeon Driver Features

For those curious about the state of various features for the range of ATI/AMD Radeon GPUs on the open-source Linux graphics driver stack, the feature Wiki continues to be maintained...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3NDU

so, if you had an intel cpu with a integrated gpu, and you had a discrete amd gpu card. how hard would it be now with these new dma-buf and similar features we now have to use the intel igp video decoder for an output on the amd gpu. wouldn't it be nice if we could mix and match video capabilites a lot more liberaly than just this gpu renders on that gpu's output?

Dreaming when mine integrated and discrete card can be used.
    No. Wait.
    Dreaming when mine DISCRETE CARD WILL BE WORKING.

Default Seems the current TODO list will never end in Open-Source Radeon

Open-Source Radeon graphics development is soooooo slow that it seems that the current TODO list will never end. Any tentative dates as to when we can see Open-Source Radeon performance comparable with Catalyst. I'm aware even catalyst implementation is also bad if you consider the xvba-va-driver and other such wrappers/layers. Too bad on the part of AMD!

Gosh you guys are spoiled. I remember (not too long ago!) when open-source 3D was something that was talked about with longing and the best open-source drivers struggled to run anything much more complex than glxgears.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMage89 View Post
    Gosh you guys are spoiled. I remember (not too long ago!) when open-source 3D was something that was talked about with longing and the best open-source drivers struggled to run anything much more complex than glxgears.
    And you were scared out of your wits whenever you tried to install the closed-source drivers, as they only worked in one attempt out of ten.

Thanks for the reminder; even though the drivers are still a bit shady (I want to use my pymol with more than 5 fps, dammit!), the improvements since I started using Linux (9 years ago) are enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by manmath View Post
    Any tentative dates as to when we can see Open-Source Radeon performance comparable with Catalyst.
    That's not even planned, afaik. Occasionally, some card that AMD dropped support for 3-4 years ago will be better served by the open driver, but that's all.

Default Power management

Better power management support seems to be missing from the to do list? The gallium drivers are still far from as efficient as the catalyst driver is...

On phoronix I always see "zomg, $magicfeaturebuzzword is still not implemented while the next-next-next-generation hardware is out". I don't even know what a "Stippled Primitive" or "Tessellation Shader Stages" or "Piglit spec/glsl-1.20/execution/variable-indexing/fs-temp-array-mat4-index-col-row-rd hangs" are; 99% of CG is just technobabble + magic from beyond my universe, though I am a computer scientist but I majored in a very different field. I have a deep understanding of operating systems though, but the VGA card is just the thingy that draws pictures if you need them.

Could you recommend a book or summary paper that explains all the techniques (aka technobabble) and how everything works together without programming examples and only essential math details? I do not intend to become a developer, I just want to understand what everyone is talking about, this is why I want the book to spare me the practical details.

By the way: With three developers or so this will obviously need forever. But even if you are a programmer you cannot do the job, because you need knowledge in computer graphics. On my university there are at least three master lectures about that (maybe more) and one chair dedicated to only that topic (and other ones for embedded devices, hardware stuff, operating systems), so people with proper knowledge will be very rare, because they need knowledge in all these fields. But even when someone has this knowledge, this does not mean that they will ever be involved in driver developing: I would not do it, because I would do research with a graduation like that; maybe if you are bored enough (haha) you could do it as a hobby.

So we have no other option but to be patient and should never buy the latest cards on the market, but 5+ year old ones. Just buy a game console and use the Linux PCs for work and basic multimedia (which saves energy and money because a 50 bucks fanless card has enough power for that). It is very simple ;-)