Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Developers Reconsider MinGW For Qt 5.0

Phoronix: Qt Developers Reconsider MinGW For Qt 5.0

While we're now up to the Qt 5.0 beta stage, Qt developers are still settling for what MinGW implementation to use for the Windows build of Qt 5.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been cross-compiling Qt from Linux to Windows for a couple of years now. That way you can use the latest GCC version without having to wait for mingw to update their Windows version of it. Works like a charm.

Comment

Yeah I was dying to find that out. Now if we could find out which version of emacs they use.
      Seriously, who cares about all that?

Comment

Is there any reason to use the MinGW builds, since there are official VS builds available, which are more "native"?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Seriously, who cares about all that?
          Who cares about how the world's most used cross-platform GUI framework compiles on the world's most used operating system? Err... Quite a lot of people.

Of course, if you don't use develop for/with Qt on Windows - then why are you even reading this article?

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
            Who cares about how the world's most used cross-platform GUI framework compiles on the world's most used operating system? Err... Quite a lot of people.

Of course, if you don't use develop for/with Qt on Windows - then why are you even reading this article?
            Maybe, but once it's released, it will be pretty obvious how it's compiled. Do we need news, months in advance, telling us that nothing is set in stone yet? I'm pretty sure anyone interested in this is following Qt mailing lists already.

Comment

I personally have a very good experience using the "unstable" 4.7 builds of mingw-w64, both 32bit and 64bit, and this includes C, C++ and QT code.
              Furthermore, mingw-w64 is an official part of Fedora 17, letting me develop and test the Windows side of my code from within Fedora (compile via mingw, test using wine) without wasting time booting the Windows XP/7 VMs unless I'm testing "final" code.

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

One thing that surprised me in mingw64 is that if you don't specify a min version, it creates a binary that doesn't run on XP. (requires 5.2 by default, XP is 5.1)

Regular mingw (at least used to) give win95 as a default minimum.

Certainly a curious default to put in, when XP still has such a huge market share.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  One thing that surprised me in mingw64 is that if you don't specify a min version, it creates a binary that doesn't run on XP. (requires 5.2 by default, XP is 5.1)

Certainly a curious default to put in, when XP still has such a huge market share.
                  I suppose they figure that you would be using mingw instead of mingw64 for 32-bit operating systems so the only time you would have to specify a min version on a 64-bit OS is for XP 64 support which wasn't that popular.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    I haven't faced this issue.
                    Which parameter sets the minimum Windows version? (I can't seem to find anything in the mingw-gcc man page)
                    Different mingw-w64 build options / version?

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X