Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.5.12 Carries Direct3D, RandR Improvements

Phoronix: Wine 1.5.12 Carries Direct3D, RandR Improvements

Wine 1.5.12 was released today as the latest development snapshot for this open-source project that allows running Windows binaries on Linux and other platforms. There's a few interesting changes to this new release that ends out the month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Again, D3DX doesn't have any direct connection to D3D. D3DX is a separate extension library. It stands for "Direct3D eXtension", not "Direct3D 9.X".

The D3D9 documentation doesn't mention anything like "constant tables", they are just a way for D3DX to manage constants.

References: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
    "D3DX is a library of tools designed to provide additional graphics functionality on top of Direct3D."
    Last edited by NeoBrain; 31 August 2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Netflix on Linux!

Supposedly the wine 1.5.12 update will enable Netflix on a Linux desktop! (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31303).

A beer and a hug for Alexander Julliard and the awesome wine contributors. (And a "Linus finger" for the Netflix crew for not releasing a Linux desktop compatible player.) I guess I shouldn't be too amazed, but every time I launch a windows app under wine, I am still in awe of the Wine contributors. Firefox runs amazingly well via wine.

Waiting for the .12 update to hit the repositories to confirm Netflix streaming capability. (I may just break down and compile it myself....)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
        Again, D3DX doesn't have any direct connection to D3D. D3DX is a separate extension library. It stands for "Direct3D eXtension", not "Direct3D 9.X".

The D3D9 documentation doesn't mention anything like "constant tables", they are just a way for D3DX to manage constants.

References: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
        "D3DX is a library of tools designed to provide additional graphics functionality on top of Direct3D."
        But Michael just copied from the changelog without understanding what it is he's writting about

e.g. NewFeature1 comes down to adding the 1 new feature

See what I did there?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          But Michael just copied from the changelog without understanding what it is he's writting about

e.g. NewFeature1 comes down to adding the 1 new feature

See what I did there?
          Yeah, he'd rather just not explained stuff at all then (or just listen to me since it's not the first time I'm pointing this out). There's nothing wrong about not knowing the difference between D3D and D3DX, but writing random and wrong guesses trying to "explain" stuff is just giving wrong impressions to end-users.

This changeset has nothing to do at all with Wine progress in regards to D3D9 functionality. You can use the native d3dx9 dlls just fine instead of the builtin functionality and every single piece of functionality in that library will work perfectly. You can't do that with D3D9. I.e. these d3dx changes are a lot less critical to get stuff working than people might think.

That's ofc not to say Wine is making no progress in terms of actual D3D support. But still it's not like every Wine release emulates another major milestone, like Phoronix articles would suggest. Frankly said, there are no major milestones like that left in Wine's D3D9 support.
          Last edited by NeoBrain; 01 September 2012, 08:25 AM.

Comment

wine

I like this form.It's really helping out.

Comment

Working...
            X