Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLPC Releases OS With GTK3, Text-To-Speech, Sugar

Phoronix: OLPC Releases OS With GTK3, Text-To-Speech, Sugar

Developers behind the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project have announced a major new release of their Linux operating system that brings forward several new features in OLPC OS version 12.1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Worse than Metro

I tried the Sugar desktop environment some years ago, it was awful, it was worse than Metro!

Comment

No pics no proof.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I tried the Sugar desktop environment some years ago, it was awful, it was worse than Metro!
        Trying to compare it to Metro interface and calling it awful only shows a complete lack of knowledge of the purpose. On that logic, you just insulted those 2+ millions wordwide users who never saw nor knew about traditional desktop environments. Sugar environment developed started before Metro in 2007 based on constructionist philosophy and comes with features like Mesh networking (similar to Ad-Hoc) to communicate between XO or devices that run Sugar, nearly realtime networking where works can be shared, journal which inspired Gnome Journal aka Zeitgest. I will strongly suggest to visit Sugarlabs website and OLPC website to fully understand the reasons.
        Remember those users will be our FOSS contributors of tomorrow.
        Last edited by finalzone; 31 August 2012, 09:07 PM. Reason: Addenum

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
          Trying to compare it to Metro interface and calling it awful only shows a complete lack of knowledge of the purpose. On that logic, you just insulted those 2+ millions wordwide users who never saw nor knew about traditional desktop environments. Sugar environment developed started before Metro in 2007 based on constructionist philosophy and comes with features like Mesh networking (similar to Ad-Hoc) to communicate between XO or devices that run Sugar, nearly realtime networking where works can be shared, journal which inspired Gnome Journal aka Zeitgest. I will strongly suggest to visit Sugarlabs website and OLPC website to fully understand the reasons.
          Remember those users will be our FOSS contributors of tomorrow.
          If they would have sold the machines we would have cared more about the project and the software. I wanted one but couldn't get it. After that they went nuts with weird plans like using windows and double touchscreens. I find it hard to care about the project because I have no clue why they still exist.

Comment

Working...
          X