Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Mesa Will Not Support GL_ARB_compatibility

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,611

    Default Mesa Will Not Support GL_ARB_compatibility

    Phoronix: Mesa Will Not Support GL_ARB_compatibility

    Intel OTC developers that generally have been providing most of the new OpenGL functionality within Mesa have shared their views this week that they will not be implementing the GL_ARB_compatibility extension within the open-source project...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MzA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    147

    Default

    So in other words, Intel will not add support for GL_ARB_compatibility to Mesa. Nothing says someone else can't implement it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    884

    Default

    I'm a bit confused on this, actually. Is this extension only used when creating a GL 3.1+ GL contexts where you also want to use old GL features that have been removed?

    As a related question, will Mesa offer the ability to create either a GL 2.x (or 3.0) context with the legacy features or a 3.1+ context without the old stuff when requested? If so, I don't see much issue... Legacy games can use the GL 2.1/3.0 codepaths, and 3.1+ games can use the new stuff without the legacy features. It's just in the interim, where we have games that expect 3.1+ and compatibility features that we'll have issues. And hopefully there won't be too many of those.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I'm a bit confused on this, actually. Is this extension only used when creating a GL 3.1+ GL contexts where you also want to use old GL features that have been removed?
    Yes, that's what it's for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    As a related question, will Mesa offer the ability to create either a GL 2.x (or 3.0) context with the legacy features or a 3.1+ context without the old stuff when requested? If so, I don't see much issue... Legacy games can use the GL 2.1/3.0 codepaths, and 3.1+ games can use the new stuff without the legacy features. It's just in the interim, where we have games that expect 3.1+ and compatibility features that we'll have issues. And hopefully there won't be too many of those.
    The problem is that compatibility contexts do get used (from an application developer standpoint, there's not much reason to use the core context with less features), and application developers usually don't target Mesa, but rather the proprietary Nvidia and AMD drivers, which do support GL_ARB_compatibility.

    That said, though, Apple support GL 3.2 core contexts but not compatibility contexts, so games targeting OS X and using new OpenGL features will already be using core contexts.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    As a related question, will Mesa offer the ability to create either a GL 2.x (or 3.0) context with the legacy features or a 3.1+ context without the old stuff when requested?\
    Yes. We will continue to support OpenGL 3.0 as the default context mode. When a application specifically requests a 3.1 context, it will get 3.1 without the old stuff. When we support 3.2 (and later), we will only support the core profile.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ianromanick View Post
    Yes. We will continue to support OpenGL 3.0 as the default context mode. When a application specifically requests a 3.1 context, it will get 3.1 without the old stuff. When we support 3.2 (and later), we will only support the core profile.
    MacOS X works the same way, except Mac don't support 3.0 at all. The default on Mac is a 2.1 context, but an application can request a 3.1 or 3.2 context without the old stuff. OpenGL 3.3 and 4.x are not yet supported on Mac either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •