Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: LGP Begins Pushing Their Outdated Crap In Ubuntu

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
    I don't know what you're referring to when you say distro lock in.. All the apps I purchased on the Ubuntu Software Center work just fine in Debian when I copied them over. They're just binary packages and they're shipped with libraries just as any other linux game release is... So where's the distro lock-in?
    Of course you can copy them over to another distro; these are just Linux binaries after all. However, the store is geared to Ubuntu, is integrated into the Ubuntu package manager, and I was under the impression you could only utilize it from an Ubuntu setup. Thankfully, the games are supposed to be coming to Desura as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
    For YEARS all I've heard is people talk about LGP and their "DRM crap".. That's pretty much how most linux gamers view LGP products these days, so I don't think the title is as "bullying" as you suggest it is. It seems pretty accurate to me..

    How is LGP's DRM ridden games from so many years ago, not crap? Tell me that and maybe I'd understand you a bit better.. For the most part, if LGP doesn't strip their DRM out of their games, I'll continue to refer to it as crap myself (along with most linux gamers) and just buy other games...

    If they do strip the DRM out of their games and put it on Ubuntu Software Center or Desura, I'd definitely buy Mind Rover...
    Yes, I hate the DRM just as much as anyone. But I am not hypocritical enough to sneer at LGP and then praise Valve (I will point out in fairness that I am not sure if you have ever done that) as they both have their own DRM setups. Both have also been doing or have done praiseworthy things for Linux gaming in the past, and I still think it is very unfair of Michael to bash them as he has done here. I will not buy an LGP title with DRM - but I am not going to resort to childish name calling about it either.

    However, just because a game is old does not mean it is crap. That point I would debate most strongly.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I have to agree that the headline title was abusive and uncalled for.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Pretty sure that Michael Larabel just testing if he can get more clicks out of abusive article titles

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    so what if its out dated, they publish Linux games, they get my dollar. Just like any idiot making any Linux game at this point. When every publisher is making Linux games, then I'll be picky.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramiliez View Post
    Pretty sure that Michael Larabel just testing if he can get more clicks out of abusive article titles
    I firmly stand by my earlier analysis.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Koszalin, Poland
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    However, just because a game is old does not mean it is crap. That point I would debate most strongly.
    Exactly! I'd take Dungeon Master over Skyrim any day! The old games are usually far better than the new ones (excluding indie games).

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    Exactly! I'd take Dungeon Master over Skyrim any day! The old games are usually far better than the new ones (excluding indie games).
    Youre not right back in old days the competition was much better developed thus much more good games appeared and yes bad games existed even back then
    Anyway your example is wrong Skyrim is different RPG you should compare similar games i.e Dungeon Master to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_Of_Grimrock

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Koszalin, Poland
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Skyrim is an fps rpg like DM. But ok, let's say Ishar is more similar (open world and all that).

    BTW: Legend of Grimrock is great, most indie games are great. It's those high budget new games that are usually not worth even looking (a few are good, but generally most of the new ones are worthless).

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
    I have to agree that the headline title was abusive and uncalled for.
    Well put.

    - Gilboa
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Michael, that headline is rather disrespectful. I don't like to read something like this. If there are issues please point them out objectively but unfounded allegations like this are not professional.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •