LGP Begins Pushing Their Outdated Crap In Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
    I don't know what you're referring to when you say distro lock in.. All the apps I purchased on the Ubuntu Software Center work just fine in Debian when I copied them over. They're just binary packages and they're shipped with libraries just as any other linux game release is... So where's the distro lock-in?
    Of course you can copy them over to another distro; these are just Linux binaries after all. However, the store is geared to Ubuntu, is integrated into the Ubuntu package manager, and I was under the impression you could only utilize it from an Ubuntu setup. Thankfully, the games are supposed to be coming to Desura as well.

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
    For YEARS all I've heard is people talk about LGP and their "DRM crap".. That's pretty much how most linux gamers view LGP products these days, so I don't think the title is as "bullying" as you suggest it is. It seems pretty accurate to me..

How is LGP's DRM ridden games from so many years ago, not crap? Tell me that and maybe I'd understand you a bit better.. For the most part, if LGP doesn't strip their DRM out of their games, I'll continue to refer to it as crap myself (along with most linux gamers) and just buy other games...

If they do strip the DRM out of their games and put it on Ubuntu Software Center or Desura, I'd definitely buy Mind Rover...
    Yes, I hate the DRM just as much as anyone. But I am not hypocritical enough to sneer at LGP and then praise Valve (I will point out in fairness that I am not sure if you have ever done that) as they both have their own DRM setups. Both have also been doing or have done praiseworthy things for Linux gaming in the past, and I still think it is very unfair of Michael to bash them as he has done here. I will not buy an LGP title with DRM - but I am not going to resort to childish name calling about it either.

However, just because a game is old does not mean it is crap. That point I would debate most strongly.

Comment

I have to agree that the headline title was abusive and uncalled for.

Comment

Pretty sure that Michael Larabel just testing if he can get more clicks out of abusive article titles

Comment

so what if its out dated, they publish Linux games, they get my dollar. Just like any idiot making any Linux game at this point. When every publisher is making Linux games, then I'll be picky.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
            Pretty sure that Michael Larabel just testing if he can get more clicks out of abusive article titles
            I firmly stand by my earlier analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              However, just because a game is old does not mean it is crap. That point I would debate most strongly.
              Exactly! I'd take Dungeon Master over Skyrim any day! The old games are usually far better than the new ones (excluding indie games).

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                Exactly! I'd take Dungeon Master over Skyrim any day! The old games are usually far better than the new ones (excluding indie games).
                Youre not right back in old days the competition was much better developed thus much more good games appeared and yes bad games existed even back then
                Anyway your example is wrong Skyrim is different RPG you should compare similar games i.e Dungeon Master to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_Of_Grimrock

Comment

Skyrim is an fps rpg like DM. But ok, let's say Ishar is more similar (open world and all that).

BTW: Legend of Grimrock is great, most indie games are great. It's those high budget new games that are usually not worth even looking (a few are good, but generally most of the new ones are worthless).

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                    I have to agree that the headline title was abusive and uncalled for.
                    Well put.

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Michael, that headline is rather disrespectful. I don't like to read something like this. If there are issues please point them out objectively but unfounded allegations like this are not professional.

Comment

Working...
                      X