Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going To Mesa 9.0 Is Official With Intel OpenGL 3.1

Phoronix: Going To Mesa 9.0 Is Official With Intel OpenGL 3.1

Intel's Ian Romanick mailed in the patch today to bump the Mesa master version to 9.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whatever anyone says, mesa and OSS drivers are moving in the right direction. r600g : 2 years from barely working to opengl3 support; Kudos devs! Mesa moving forward support at an amazing pace (granted, because intel doesn't have anything else in the Linux camp).

This is a good year for linux graphics.

Serafean.

Michael : where's the radeonsi non-support complaint? there's been one in every mesa-related article lately

Comment

Good job

But still a lot to left to be done to catch up.

Comment

Seeing OpenGL 3.1 in the driver already is fantastic as predictions earlier this year said it wouldn't come before some time next year, go MESA!

Comment

After half year, we probably will have Mesa 10.0 (DirectX 10 parity) , with OpenGL 3.3. Rejoice linux fans

Comment

Took a quick look at the TODO list, 3.3 is almost complete and 3.2 is very close as well. I think we will have Mesa 11 by 2013 Q1

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              Took a quick look at the TODO list, 3.3 is almost complete and 3.2 is very close as well. I think we will have Mesa 11 by 2013 Q1

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt
              Agreed. Given the rate of progress, I'd be very surprised if the next release doesn't have at least the i965 driver reporting OpenGL 3.3 support. r600g looks like it's getting closer to OpenGL 3.1 support (at least according to GL3.txt)... we just need GLSL 1.4, UBOs, Texture Buffer Objects, and forward-compatible context support/deprecations (I would have assumed that the last would be driver-independent).

And then r600g has most of 3.2 done already (mostly in sync with the intel driver).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                r600g looks like it's getting closer to OpenGL 3.1 support (at least according to GL3.txt)... we just need GLSL 1.4, UBOs, Texture Buffer Objects, and forward-compatible context support/deprecations (I would have assumed that the last would be driver-independent).

And then r600g has most of 3.2 done already (mostly in sync with the intel driver).
                Notably, this r600g is getting close to the maximum capability of R600/R700 hardware. Intel continue to astonish me with their huge amount of work on mesa - less than a year ago we were running Mesa 7.11 because there was no OpenGL 3 support, and now we've got OpenGL 3.1 support. If we're lucky and the developers (from all companies) continue their hard work then perhaps we'll have OpenGL 3.3 support within a year of getting OpenGL 3.0 support.

Comment

Working...
                X